Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling FCP7 in my new Macbook Pro Retina Display. I have my serial numbers back to FCP1. But it tells me that I have an invalid serial number. Why?

Reinstalling FCP in new Macbook Pro Retina from time machine backup. Have all serial numbers back to FCP1 but I am warned I have an invalid serial number. How can that be! I need to install and use this weekend.

Thank you in advance for the help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:34 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2015 12:11 PM in response to VA - Ron

VA - Ron wrote:

Reinstalling FCP in new Macbook Pro Retina from time machine backup.

How, exactly are you doing this? The pro applications cannot just be copied, they must be installed to work. You should be installing from you original install DVDs.

Also - FCP was abandoned by Apple many years before Yosemite, anecdotal reports on this forum show that some can install and get it to work, others have problems with it. In any case, Yosemite was built without any regard as to supporting legacy versions of FCP.

In any case, IIRC, the installation procedure should be . . .

Install from the discs of the latest version you have in your possession.

If this is an upgrade software package:

the first serial number you will be prompted for is the serial number for the last full version you have installed and are upgrading from. If this is fresh installation, then you don't need to pre-install the earlier full version, but you do need to enter that full version serial number. Then you will prompted for the serial number of the upgrade software.

If this is a full version software package - you should only be prompted for one serial number - the number associated with those discs.

MtD

Mar 6, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Meg The Dog

How, exactly are you doing this?

When I restored my new computer from the time machine, the software was transfer to the new machine, in the past when double clicking the icon it would come up and ask for the serial numbers. This time was the same with the exception of:User uploaded file

I did not enter an invalid serial number, I tried all the numbers I have. But none of them worked.

I will try to install from discs.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 6, 2015 12:52 PM in response to VA - Ron

Before you do the install from the DVD discs, get FCS remover from Digital Rebellion (free):

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

it will remove all the traces (including any "invisible" files) from your previous install attempt and give you a clean slate to start with.

Also, take a look at this:

Troubleshooting Professional Application Serial Numbers - Apple Support

MtD

Reinstalling FCP7 in my new Macbook Pro Retina Display. I have my serial numbers back to FCP1. But it tells me that I have an invalid serial number. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.