Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud Drive like an external drive?

I would like to use iCloud Drive to store my stuff (docs, videos, photos etc) but I don't what these same files occupying storage on my local hard disk.

Is it possible to use iCloud Drive to upload files that I want stored there and then simply download them when needed. Or...

...can I be selective with which files/folders sync and which don't?

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:30 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Kappy

What's on your computer is a phantom listing. The only space it uses is that needed for the entries.

That's only for files from apps that can save directly to the iCloud drive, Numbers, Pages, etc. If you add local files/folders to the iCloud Drive folder locally

User uploaded file

the files just get moved to that folder which is in the ~Library/Mobile Documents folder and remain on the hard drive while also being copied to the iCloud Driver servers for access by other devices. However, those files must be downloaded to the other devices before they can be viewed or used on that device. They can't be viewed or otherwise accessed at iCloud.com.

So if one were to drag several folders of files into the iCloud Drive window as shown above all it's doing is moving them to a different location and copying them to the iCloud drive. There's no saving of space on the hard drive.

User uploaded file

Can I use iCloud Drive like an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.