Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Can't Count - Discrepancy between iTunes and iPhone song counts

When I sync my iPhone, this is what I see. I only have 19 voice memos listed in the voice recorder app, so if that is included in the "song" count, that still leaves over 400 songs my phone thinks it has, but it doesn't. I'd really like that space back, so I can keep other things on my phone.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Is more info necessary?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

iTunes 12.1.0.50

24" iMac OSX 10.9.5

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:03 AM

8 replies

Mar 6, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Annalea

You have assumed (almost certainly incorrectly) that the only songs on your iPhone are those you are syncing with iTunes. In fact, many songs are likely on your iPhone that are not synced with iTunes.

If you would like to have only those 469 songs on your iPhone, follow these steps:

• Uncheck that "Sync Music" box shown in your screen shot.
  • There should be an "Apply" button in the lower right of the iTunes window. Click this to re-sync your iPhone without syncing any music.
  • The above step will delete all synced music from your iPhone, leaving only those extra unsynched songs. Review and delete those songs on your iPhone as you wish.
  • Recheck the "Sync Music" box in your screen shot and resent.

Mar 6, 2015 1:43 PM in response to sberman

I will occasionally buy music via the iTunes store, on my phone . . . but I seriously doubt I have over four hundred songs. And even if I did, they're added to my iTunes library, aren't they?

The only other source for songs, besides the iTunes store on my phone, is via iTunes on my computer.

So where would the other music have come from?

iTunes Can't Count - Discrepancy between iTunes and iPhone song counts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.