Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally downloaded a search engine called smart search, I tried to remove it and now my Mac book shuts off when I log into my computer under my username. What should I do?

I was trying to stream a hockey game online, I found a site and it said I needed to update my flash media player. Sadly I tried the update and it installed something called smart search. I looked on line and had tried to remove it by deleting some files and I may have accidentally delete a dameon folder. I shut my computer down last night and tried to log in this morning. When I boot it up it goes to the login screen, when I log in to my account my notebook goes black and shuts off. I can go into the guest account and it opens a secure safari browser. I'm not sure what to do to resolve this problem. Can you please help give me a couple of solutions.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:09 PM

1 reply

Mar 6, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Coburna

You could go to recovery and use terminal to recreate your password. Command R. In terminal you would type resetpassword and hit enter and follow the on screen instructions. Or you could reinstall the operating system from recovery. It does not delete files. It is still good to have a backup though. This is if you deleted something for your login. You might also try safe boot. Hold down the shift key at startup.

I accidentally downloaded a search engine called smart search, I tried to remove it and now my Mac book shuts off when I log into my computer under my username. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.