Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac running slow

I have a desktop which is just over 3 years old. Since I've installed Yosemite, it has been running slow. I get the rainbow wheel going round and round for several seconds every time I use Safari. It also happens when I open my own files and folders so it has nothing to do with my broadband speed, which is good. It seems to get a bit faster the longer I am using it. There is plenty of disc space, as I've used only about a quarter. Any ideas.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:08 AM

18 replies

Mar 6, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Janwindsor

Go step by step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204

2. Delete Caches.db

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari > Caches.db

Right click the Caches.db file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari.

3. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

4. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click “Remove All Website Data”.

5. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

Can you run EtreCheck and post the report here please?

EtreCheck: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6173

Mar 6, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Janwindsor

How often do you reboot your Mac? There's a topic where users running Yosemite have reported that leaving their Mac on for extended lengths of time caused a very noticeable slowdown in system and application performance. It was reported that those rebooting frequently experienced no such slowdown. I prefer to shut down each night and never seen any performance hits under Yosemite.

User uploaded file

Mar 7, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad

I turn off my Mac every evening and sometimes it's not switched on until the following evening, if I am busy elsewhere. As I said in my first post, it seems to get quicker the longer it is on, although I would never say it's as fast as it was. I don't have masses of Apps on it to slow it down. Somewhere it suggests using Onyx to "defrag" for want of a better word, but I also saw that this was not yet available for Yosemite. Any further thoughts.

Janwindsor

Mar 7, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Janwindsor

Onyx doesn't defrag. It runs maintenance scripts and empties various caches. It's not really needed. Have you tried booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), selecting Disk Utility and repairing the disk permissions and the disk?

Also download and run Etrecheck as dominic23 has suggested. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here (and recommended by Apple Support personnel) in the ASC to help identify the more obvious culprits.

Mar 10, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Janwindsor

It would help us to help you if we could have some more technical info about your iMac.

If you like, please go ahead and download, install and run Etrecheck.

Etrecheck was developed as a simple Mac diagnostic report tool by a regular Apple Support forum user and technical support contributor named Etresoft.

Etrecheck is a small, unobstrusive app that compiles a static snapshot of the current state of your entire Mac hardware system and installed software.

This is a free app that has been honestly created to provided help in diagnosing issues with Macs running newer versions of OS X.

It is not malware and can be safely downloaded and installed onto your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Copy/paste and post its report here in another reply thread so that we have a complete profile of your Mac's hardware and installed software so we can all help with your Mac performance issues.

Thank You.

iMac running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.