Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost password airport extreme. Airport utility can't find it. Can't log in. need reset

When the new password was set, the name I gave the extreme went away and the machine name came up. Now the password and the extreme can't be found... I need to start this set up process over again...

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:45 AM

If you are saying that you cannot even see the AirPort Extreme when you open AirPort Utility......to perform a a "Soft Reset" to reset passwords.....then you will need to perform a "Hard Reset" to erase the current network settings and return the AirPort Extreme to factory default settings.

You do that by powering up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes, and then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 8-10 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Now you can set up the AirPort Extreme again, just like you did the first time.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 10:45 AM in response to MyDogMoe

If you are saying that you cannot even see the AirPort Extreme when you open AirPort Utility......to perform a a "Soft Reset" to reset passwords.....then you will need to perform a "Hard Reset" to erase the current network settings and return the AirPort Extreme to factory default settings.

You do that by powering up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes, and then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 8-10 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Now you can set up the AirPort Extreme again, just like you did the first time.

Mar 7, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Need more help with this...

I have the airport extreme working, apparently, will not come up on the utility unless I select it as the wifi source... OK...

Here is the problem, this is a yacht, so the outside wifi source will change a lot...

I can see my wired connection to the wifi booster and can select a source thru the extreme OK

But I can't get the w p a password to get accepted thru the extreme. I know its the right password, works fine outside the extreme, but not thru the extreme and the booster...

Airport extreme is set to DHCP for Bridge setting and wpa/2 password set...

Mar 7, 2015 9:49 AM in response to MyDogMoe

Sorry, you have totally lost me here, since there are major changes in the information that you provided from your first post, which simply asked about resetting the AirPort Extreme.

Start with the signal source, which appears to be a WiFi network provided by an outside source....maybe a public WiFi, or a private network provided by the dock. Is that correct?

Where does the signal go next? The WiFi booster? Does it have an Ethernet output? What is the make and model of this device?

If the WiFi booster is repeating the network.....what is it that you are trying to get the AirPort Extreme to do? How will it connect to the booster?

Mar 7, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok, sorry for the confusion, I am just frustrated... this isn't my first dance...

Yes I change the topic, because the reset allowed me to address the real problem. Something must be wrong in the way I am setting this network up...

1. wifi network from any source goes to a Syrens wifi booster... You can pull up Syrens (now owned by Wave wifi)

A direct ethernet connection from the booster to a router is the standard installation...

In this case, I connected the booster to the bottom ethernet connection on the Airport extreme.

So, we want the Airport set up as a router...

Fine, so that worked, log my laptop in to the Airport...

Go to Safari and log on to the Syrens booster so it can find available wifi content, standard procedure, worked fine... Boosted links are all there, hundreds of them...

A list comes up, choose the wifi provider, enter the W P A code.

Some how, the Airport is not allowing the code to go through.

Mar 7, 2015 11:21 AM in response to MyDogMoe

I guess the bottom line here would be to first ask if the WiFi repeater has an Ethernet port that could be used to deliver a signal to the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme.

That is the only way that the AirPort Extreme can produce a wireless network, which is what I am guessing that you are trying to do.

The device that would be entering a password would be the booster or repeater that is connecting wirelessly to the dock network. The AirPort Extreme would then be creating its own network, with a separate name and password.

Lost password airport extreme. Airport utility can't find it. Can't log in. need reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.