Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run Windows via BootCamp or Parallels Desktop?

I recently picked up a mid-2011 11" MacBook Air (2GB RAM, 64GB storage) and am wondering it it is possible to run Windows on this configuration via either BootCamp or Parallels Desktop?

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:16 AM

16 replies

Mar 6, 2015 10:41 AM in response to romad

2GB of RAM is terrible for running OS X and a VM. You may want to stick with an OS that has minimal RAM requirements, maybe 10.6 to 10.9? This has soldered on memory, so it can't be upgraded, right?

10.6 to 10.10 all have 2GB listed as a minimum RAM requirement (according to Apple) but I don't think newer OS's like being RAM starved. Yosemite & Mavericks seem to use quite a lot.

Bootcamp seems like a better option if you can stand switching OS's.

Mar 6, 2015 10:51 AM in response to romad

With those specs, Parallels is out of the question, there's just not enough RAM to run 2 OSes simultaneously anywhere near decently.

Bootcamp would require you to partition the HD to make space for the Windows installation. And with 64GB of HD space, you would be really cramped on both MacOsx and Windows.

Personally, I don't think that Macbook Air is a good choice if you need to be running a Windows Installation in any capacity. However, if you really need to run Windows on it. you should consider replacing the HD with a larger capacity one, if only to make enough room for the Bootcamp Windows Installation.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Solid-State+Drive+Repl acement/6317

Mar 6, 2015 11:06 AM in response to romad

Yes, unfortunately.

OK, it looks like I'll have to buy an old Windows netbook or possibly a Windows tablet.

As distasteful as that sounds, it is sometimes the best path. You confine all your worry to just that notebook regarding viruses, etc, and you will not have to wait for hours to do anything - assuming a VM would work. Trying to do both OS on a device that is not really capable can get you easily frustrated regardless of what OS you are in at the time.

Mar 6, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Allan Eckert

If Ross-Tech is only vendor, answer is a yes, but with caveats.

Will there be a Mac or Linux version?

There will be no "native" Mac or Linux versions. The time and effort required to "port" VCDS to these platforms would never be worthwhile. VCDS works fine on Apple Mac computers that have Intel processors (all modern Macs) when Windows is installed on them using Boot Camp. Most computers that are used to run Linux can also boot Windows. If you do not wish to install Windows, we now offer a platform-independent version of VCDS called "VCDS-Mobile".

PS there is a mobile version found it via

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434608

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html

Mar 6, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Phil0124

I got this MacBook Air because I needed something I could take down to my mother's house and do her taxes since Intuit severed the iOS version of TurboTax from syncing with the desktop version. I was hoping I could find a use for it other than only one time per year. A netbook would have been less expensive, but I didn't want to have to maintain different tax application updates (I also didn't want the Widows machine connecting to the Internet).

Mar 6, 2015 11:17 AM in response to romad

You can limit the Windows side's connectivity to the internet by simply not connecting to a wireless network with it.

Other than that, for a once a year use, it should work just well enough for you to use it on Bootcamp even with 64GB of storage.

But as I said you will have to be mindful of the files you store, as you will be quite limited on either side. An external Drive would be very very necessary.

You'll also need a Windows install disc and License Key to run Windows on Bootcamp.

Run Windows via BootCamp or Parallels Desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.