Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sold an iOS unit - forgot to logout from iCloud - will there be problems?

So, I sold my iOS unit, and before you sell it, you are supposed to do the following steps, as instructed on the following website: What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support:

Before you sell or give away your iOS device, make sure that you've removed all of your personal information. Follow these steps to protect your data and get your device to its factory default state for the new owner:

1. Back up your device.
  2. Sign out of iCloud:
    1. Tap Settings > iCloud, scroll down, and tap Sign Out. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account.
    2. Tap Sign Out again, tap Delete from My iPhone, then enter your password.
  3. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
    • This will completely erase your device, including any credit or debit cards you added for Apple Pay and any photos, contacts, music, or apps. It will also turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
    • If you're using iOS 7 or later and have Find My iPhone turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required. After you provide your password, the device will be erased and removed from your account so that the next owner can activate it.
    • Your content won't be deleted from iCloud when you erase your device.
  4. Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner. If you aren't using a SIM-card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.

Well, I did step 2 and 3, I did a Erase all Content and Settings.

But, I forgot step 2, logging out from iCloud.

What I did was I turned off Find my Phone in iCloud settings, then did a total reset

Now, here is my questions:

1. Will the new owner have any problems activating his iCloud account on the device, or will my iCloud ID show up?

2. Also, am I logged out from iCloud after the reset?

I think it would be strange that iCloud credentials would not dissapear after a total reset of the phone, and I am curious as to why you have to perform step 2 at all when you do a total reset...

All help is appreciated 🙂

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:35 PM

If problems come up there are some steps that you can take without having the device. See here:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 6, 2015 12:54 PM in response to JimHdk

Thanks for the input.

I actually turned off Find my Phone before I did the reset (was mandatory to turn off Find my Phone before I even could do a reset), so it is no longer present among my units in iCloud.

That would mean that the new owner can type in their icloud username and password without problems?

Sold an iOS unit - forgot to logout from iCloud - will there be problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.