Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete a user account and keep programmes

I transferred via "migration assistant" what I thought was all my stuff on an older Mbook pro to a new Mbook pro 15" retina, somehow it set up another user account (my old Mbook account ) as well. Problem is there is the full OEDictionary on my "old account" but not on the new account, I can access the OED by signing in to the "old account", which is a nuisance, because I have to sign out of the "new account", I would like to preferably delete the "old user account" and keep the OED and other programmes on the "new account" , sorry if the explanation is a bit "round the houses" but I am not a Mac expert! Any help greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:21 PM

Transferring files from one User Account to another. This may be easier than any other solution. Third-party applications can easily be re-installed from their original media.

Next, open Users & Groups preferences, click on the lock icon and enter your admin password. Select the "old" account then click on the Delete [-] button. Do not select the option to delete securely as that could take days.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 12:21 PM in response to fortepiano

Transferring files from one User Account to another. This may be easier than any other solution. Third-party applications can easily be re-installed from their original media.

Next, open Users & Groups preferences, click on the lock icon and enter your admin password. Select the "old" account then click on the Delete [-] button. Do not select the option to delete securely as that could take days.

Mar 6, 2015 1:08 PM in response to fortepiano

FWIW:

Apple sells an external SuperDrive specifically for use with Macs that have no optical drive. Or you can buy a third-party external optical drive to have handy in case you need to use optical disc media. Look for those at OWC. Never hurts to be prepared. You can then clone all your CD/DVDs to USB flash drives for any future needs.

delete a user account and keep programmes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.