Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin has no permissions to delete files

I'm trying to set up a new personal "cloud" base for my personal use so I can clear up some external hard drives to use as my Time Machine backups. I'm having an issue with one folder that I really need to delete.

I goofed up on the transfer of one item and I want to delete it off the "cloud" and start fresh, but there seems to be a problem. I want to look inside this one folder and see what went over and what didn't, but it's grayed out and it won't let me open it. So, I try to delete it and start fresh - It deletes the massive amount of crap in there for several hours at a time and then it errors and says I do not have permission to perform the action. Ugh. So all the content is still there, inaccessible.

So I look at the info on the file and somehow there are 3 users - none of which are me.

I check the system Preferences and I am indeed there as admin on the main folder. There is one folder INSIDE this directory and that's the problem. I think these are old Windows permissions from a long gone computer.

I check the file sharing area and some things I'm listed there and some I'm not.

There is ONE FOLDER that is giving me this headache. What did I do? I changed the permissions on the folder and added them into my System Preferences > file sharing > Shared Folders and gave it full on permission from me.

I called Seagate and they cannot figure out why this is a problem. I can delete the folder on the drive I'm moving it FROM but I cannot delete it off the Seagate Central server. That is where I get permission issues.

When I changed the permissions on the offending folder, it was partially moved and it's fine. it's the one I originally messed with that is giving me the problem and I can't open it, delete it or anything.

Right now it looks like the only option is to reformat that Seagate Central thing and I really don't want to do that as there is almost 1TB of info transferred there already and it took several days to accomplish.

How can I fix these permissions?

FYI - cannot use disk utility on the Seagate Central to fix permissions as it is not a hard drive and does not show in the disk utility.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:04 PM

1 reply

Admin has no permissions to delete files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.