Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am using 2007 iMac running 10.4.11. Do not wish to upgrade now. Where can I find an external hard drive to work with it? Also need a printer?

I'm using a 20" iMac that I purchased in 2007. It's running OS 10.4.11, and still doing beautifully. But I've got to get serious about upgrading and I don't want to lose the material that's on it. Purchased an external hard drive about two years ago, copied everything I wanted at that time on to it. When I tried using the h.d. a few days ago it was garbled. Now I see that inside the box it says that it requires OS 10.5+. Anyone know if there's still a new hard drive out there that would work with 10.4.11? Can't even find thumb drives to work with my system anymore. Any ideas would be appreciated.

iMac (20-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.4.11), Using old Appleworks w.p.

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:27 PM

If I were you I would bite the bullet and upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will still be able to use AppleWorks by installing the Rosetta emulator included in Snow Leopard. And, it's a much better OS version than Tiger.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mavericks if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 2:27 PM in response to janArramz

If I were you I would bite the bullet and upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will still be able to use AppleWorks by installing the Rosetta emulator included in Snow Leopard. And, it's a much better OS version than Tiger.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mavericks if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Mar 6, 2015 2:51 PM in response to janArramz

All Macs have picture display software plus there are many third-party applications for use with image files. Without knowing what you mean by "pictures" it's not possible to give you a definitive answer.

If you upgrade to Snow Leopard there is no transfer involved. Your current system is upgraded in place without erasing the drive. Be sure to do the following before upgrading:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Mar 6, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Kappy

Hi again ... By pictures I mean photos downloaded from emails, cell phones, photobooth, cameras, and of course, iphoto (which I think would transfer over). Incidentally, I love the idea of "biting the bullet," as there is so much I cannot do with this beautiful machine these days, and I appreciate your help so much, but I am concerned that I will do something stupid and mess everything up. So, I doubly appreciate your spelling it all out for me (although I still would feel better having a hard drive backup). I have checked and do meet all Snow Leopard requirements above. Will try ordering the upgrade tomorrow. Thank you again.

Am using 2007 iMac running 10.4.11. Do not wish to upgrade now. Where can I find an external hard drive to work with it? Also need a printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.