Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable find my mac to stop stalker

Hi, my partner has a macbook air. it was purchased and set up by her previous partner. He is abusive and has tried to locate her before. Ive told her not to activate the device in case he finds her again (an example of where this function is a danger not a help). I know Find my mac is there to prevent theft or disable the device but is there any way we can legally get this removed or reset? would apple stores help? or do we throw it in the bin and get something else?

Im very worried for her safety as he will try to find her given the chance and she has escaped after 10 years of misery. Any advice welcome.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:53 PM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Rimmer72

Find My Mac & Find My iPhone can be disabled if you have the password for the Apple ID. Login to iCloud.com to check if it is associated with her Apple ID (Settings > iCloud should show the Apple ID on iOS).

If the ex knows the passwords I'd suggest you change them and any others that may be used for password resets (email reset messages from other online accounts). Apple 2 step authentication may be a good idea so long as you have the account under her control.

Apple ID: Frequently asked questions about two-step ...

If the iOS device is using the ex's Apple ID then you need him to remove the device from the Apple ID, I believe Mac OS also re-establishes itself with the Apple ID, so you can't simply erase both devices, the feature is designed to persist.

Mar 6, 2015 1:58 PM in response to SeaPapp

Mike Sombrio wrote:

Back up any impoprtant files. Restart the MBA while holding Command-Option-R to access OS X internet recovery. OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Select your wifi network and when you reach the Utilities page select Disk Utility and erase the hard drive. Quit Disk Utility and you'll go back to the utilities page, select Reinstall OS X. This will install the original version of OS X that was on the computer when it was new. Set up the computer in her name with a new account and he'll no longer have access.

You realise that recovery mode knows what Apple ID account is used for the Find My Mac feature? If it is tied to someone else's account it will be reactivated when the installer is downloaded (I think I read this, but can't recall where).

Have you actually tested this Mike, I haven't hence the need for confirmation.

Mike Sombrio wrote:

disregard...i guess

EDIT: I guess that is confirmation

🙂

disable find my mac to stop stalker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.