Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import photos to directories by date

I have a Canon EOS 60D camera. It came with the software from Canon for Windows which creates folders by date and imports the photos onto the respective folders (by date). I would like to get the same functionality on Mac either through iPhoto or some other application? I know iPhoto by default stores all pictures under iPhoto library file and you have to use iPhoto to access the photos. Is there a way to save the photos by directories with date format when I download the photos from my DSLR? I back up the photos to external hard drive and I switch that drive between my Mac and Windows machines, so having the photos stored by directories with dates will be easier for me to share with Windows machine. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:07 PM

3 replies

Mar 6, 2015 1:21 PM in response to arunsub

If you want directories then you don't want iPhoto. You can get the images from your camera with Image Capture (in the Applications Folder) and move them wherever you like in the Finder.

In iPhoto the concept of Directories (which is a file management concept) does not exist. Photos are imported to Events based on Date. The can be organised in Albums but really, date based organisation is very primitive for iPhoto. You can find all the photos from any day, month, year or date range (i.e. between March 3 and 14 2012) easily. It makes all those folders named for dates rather pointless.

To give you an idea of the organisation possibilities of iPhoto:

I use Events simply as big buckets of Photos: Spring 08, July - Nov 06 are typical Events in my Library. I use keywords and Smart Albums extensively. I title the pics broadly.

I keyword on a

Who

What

Where basis (The When is in the photos's Exif metadata). I also rate the pics on a 1 - 5 star basis.

Using this system I can find pretty much find any pic in my 50k library in a couple of seconds.

So, for example, I have a batch of pics titled 'Seattle 08' and a typical keywording might include: John, Anne, Landscape, mountain, trees, snow. With a rating included it's so very easy to find the best pics we took at Mount Rainier.

File -> New Smart Album

set it to 'All"

title contains Seattle

keyword is mountain

keyword is snow

rating is 5 stars

Or, want a chronological album of John from birth to today?

New Smart Album

Keyword is John

Set the View options to Sort By Date Ascending

Want only the best pics?

add Rating is greater than 4 stars

The best thing about this system is that it's dynamic. If I add 50 more pics of John to the Library tomorrow, as I keyword and rate them they are added to the Smart Album.

In the end, organisation is about finding the pics. The point is to make locating that pic or batch of pics findable fast. This system works for me.

Mar 6, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Yer_Man

I understand that the file management concept doesn't exist for iPhoto and everything is event based. iPhoto will do the job fine if all I use are Apple products. I use a mix of products like Mac, Windows desktops/laptops, Android phone/tablet etc. iPhoto is not helpful when I download photos in any of the systems I own and move it to a common external drive. I will give image capture a try. Thanks for your help and explanation. I appreciate that.

How do I import photos to directories by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.