Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library or Event?

File management question: I have a very big project with about 60 videos that are each about 20 minutes. It is a series of talks. The 60 videos are broken down into 12 sections of 5 videos each.

Should I have all of these in one library? Or should each section be its own library?

Currently, I have them in one library, with each section as an event. My computer seems to be running fine. I'm guessing it would be easier to handle it as one big library? What do you think?

Thx!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:43 PM

MMy feeling is that big libraries are a big factor is performance slowdowns and lagging responsiveness. SSo my preference is to keep libraries lean.

BUt you're not experiencing any issues. If it's not broke, I wouldn't try fixing it.

RUss

3 replies

Mar 6, 2015 6:54 PM in response to bayoyong

There is no right or wrong method as to how one arranges Libraries.

Personally I think of a new job as a new Library and all Events go in that Library.

The media itself can be either Managed or External. Managed means the actual media files are stored within the Library.

External means the actual media files reside outside the Library, the Library contains file paths/Symlinks to them.

Any new media related to an existing job/Library is directed to that Library during import.

Having more Libraries is like having your eggs in a few baskets instead of one.

Al

Library or Event?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.