Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intersect row and column to return value

This seems to be basic, but I can't find my solution. I have two values, X and Y. I simply want to look down the first column of rows searching for X. Then I want to stop there, and look across the top row, looking for value Y. Where X and Y cross, I'l like to return that value.

I think in Excel that might be a Pivot table, but I can't find anything like it in Numbers.

Help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:41 PM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2015 3:00 PM in response to EdPilot

So you want to retrieve the value of a cell whose position is (X, Y)?

like this?:

User uploaded file

you want the value from the grey-shaded cell?

if so, then you can do this by using the formula:

= offset(A1, <cell with X>, <cell with Y>, 1, 1)

User uploaded file

B3=OFFSET(Table 1::A1, B2−1, B1−1)

this is shorthand for... select cell B3, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=OFFSET(Table 1::A1, B2−1, B1−1)

note the table names you use should match the demo tables in this post, or adjust the names to match your tables

Mar 6, 2015 7:03 PM in response to EdPilot

I simply want to look down the first column of rows searching for X. Then I want to stop there, and look across the top row, looking for value Y. Where X and Y cross, I'l like to return that value.

In addition to OFFSET, you can use INDEX, which sometimes is less confusing because you don't have to subtract 1.

User uploaded file

The formula in Table 2:

=INDEX(Table 1::A:D,2,3)

It goes down to row 2, then over to column 3, and returns the value.

=INDEX(<the range>, <row>, <column>)

SG

Mar 6, 2015 8:40 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold Green1 wrote:

Edit: Sorry Badunit, I didn't see you had posted while I was answering. J.

I do the same all the time.

I like the cleaner look of using INDEX. No need to subtract 1 from the MATCH results like I did using OFFSET. The upside to the OFFSET version is it will automatically include new rows and columns added to the bottom/right of Table 1 whereas the INDEX method will allow the addition of either new rows or new columns (depending on how you referenced Table 1) but not both.

Intersect row and column to return value

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.