Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhone 6 earpiece speaker have four terminals?

Why do the iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s earpiece speakers have 4 terminals? The iPhone 5 version has only two. The iP5s version appears to be two separate coils; one 16 ohm, one 25 ohm...and not connected. Why?

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:49 PM

8 replies

Mar 6, 2015 7:08 PM in response to deggie

Yes, earpiece. I understand the warranty issues but I did the measurements on a replacement part from ifixit or similar. On-line teardown photos clearly illustrate the difference between iP5 and iP5s & iP6 speaker modules. Just incredibly curious about the purpose of the second voice coil and figured someone here might know.

Mar 7, 2015 2:18 PM in response to ted42

ted42 wrote:

Yes, earpiece. I understand the warranty issues but I did the measurements on a replacement part from ifixit or similar. On-line teardown photos clearly illustrate the difference between iP5 and iP5s & iP6 speaker modules. Just incredibly curious about the purpose of the second voice coil and figured someone here might know.

Speculation about future Apple products or services is not allowed on this forum.

However, many companies plan ahead for compatibility with future products, services or hardware. For example, there was an expansion slot designed into the original Nintendo Entertainment System, but that expansion slot was never used. The designers put it there just in case they decided to use it in the future.

It happens all the time. But until the company tells you what to use it for, it's just... there. In short, don't worry about it. Consider it to be a GNDN item until Apple tells us otherwise.

Why does iPhone 6 earpiece speaker have four terminals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.