Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue vs Pink: Why is Pink missing apps?

I bought both a blue and a pink iPod Touch for my two kids this past week. The two devices are supposed to be the same other than color; however, they are not operating the same. We realized that the paper picture of apps was different on them. The pink iPod Touch does not show the Health and the iBook apps in the picture. Why would the Pink device not have the exact same apps as the blue? The setup on the pink was a bit different as well. It didn't ask for age and such when doing the setup.

I'm very confused as to why two devices that are simply different colors are not operating identically. (I bought them at Costco, although I don't think that would make a difference).

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.3, 32 gb

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:14 PM

One has been on the shelf for a while longer than the other and they are running different versions of iOS.

Update them both to the current version.

7 replies

Mar 6, 2015 1:25 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks KiltedTim. We updated the OS on the Pink one thinking that might resolve the difference; however, it did not add the missing apps. Did the health and iBook apps (and Garage Band app I'm now being told) get added or removed in the most recent version?

We were a little concerned about the device anyway because the pink one came with a completely depleted battery as well. That seemed odd too.

Mar 6, 2015 1:49 PM in response to bradfromfishers

According to the fine print at the bottom…

https://www.apple.com/ios/garageband/

GarageBand is free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 8 compatible devices with initial activation on or after September 1, 2014. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 8 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID

If the device was previously used, you may not be able to get Garageband for free.

You should also compare the iOS version numbers for each device when viewing the info lllaass mentioned.

If they are the same I would consider backing up to Tunes & erasing them to see if a full restore creates the Health app. It shouldn't be possible to remove that app without doing things Apple don't like.

It suggests one device may be on iOS 7 whilst one may be on iOS 8?

Mar 6, 2015 2:02 PM in response to lllaass

ahhhh..... They are two different models:

Blue: MD717LL/A

Pink: MC903LL/A

Can I assume the blue is a newer model? Is the difference worth my dealing with? It still seems like they should have ended up the same once upgraded to the newest version of the OS.....

To answer the other comment made; Both devices were bought brand new at Costco this past week.

Mar 6, 2015 2:06 PM in response to bradfromfishers

Grab mactracker.ca to see info on all Apple models

Mactracker says for the previous model (September 2012 (32 and 64 GB) June 2014 (16 GB))

MD723LL/A (32 GB Black and Slate), ME978LL/A (32 GB Space Gray), MD720LL/A (32 GB White and Silver), MC903LL/A (32 GB Pink), MD714LL/A (32 GB Yellow), MD717LL/A (32 GB Blue), MD749LL/A (32 GB (PRODUCT) RED), MD724LL/A (64 GB Black and Slate), ME979LL/A (64 GB Space Gray), MD721LL/A (64 GB White and Silver), MC904LL/A (64 GB Pink), MD715LL/A (64 GB Yellow), MD718LL/A (64 GB Blue), MD750LL/A (64 GB (PRODUCT) RED)

You still need to compare OS versions, they appear to both be recent (i.e. Apple is selling them, but they are not the very latest model), the colour is part of the order number.

The current model is listed as only…

ME643LL/A

Blue vs Pink: Why is Pink missing apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.