Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformating a 3 GB USB drive into just one partition

I once tried to plug a 3TB hard drive into my 2008 iMac to discover it wouldn't recognize anything over 2TB. So, I upgraded to 10.8.5. But evidently, when I originally tried to format the drive, I accidentally created 2 partitions. When I plug the device in, I now have "2 hard drives" - one 2.2 TB and one about 800 GB. I want to reformat these "two" drives into one usable 3TB drive.

Any suggestions?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:14 PM

11 replies

Mar 6, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Niel

Niel,

The problem is, I'm not sure how to do that. When I turn on the drive, it appears as "Untitled" and "Untitled 1" - as though they were two drives.

When Disk Utility recognizes them, they are listed as such with the respective size of the partitions (801.57 GB & 2.2 TB) above them in the list.

When I highlight one of the partition sizes (say, the 801.57 one), I DO now see the Partition tab. However, I don't see where I can merely "delete" it. It tells me that to erase and partition the selected disk, I must choose a layout from the Partition Layout pop-up menu.

There is also an option to "drag" one corner of the partition layout to where it's only 53.59 GB, changing, but not completely erasing the partition.

What am I missing here?

C-Pup

Mar 7, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Eric Root

That may not be necessary. I dropped by the local Apple Store to show them what I was seeing. They told me it wasn't supposed to look like that, but it wasn't a software, but a hardware issue. We popped the hard drive out of the enclosure and popped it into another, plugged it in and the problem was easily resolved.

But I thank you for your efforts, guys!

C-Pup

Mar 7, 2015 10:43 AM in response to kahjot

Well, the hard drive itself is just a run-of-the-mill 3 TB Seagate Barracuda and when outside of the enclosure, it appears to function normally.

The enclosure I was using appears to be a StarTech.Com SAT3510U2V, but I haven't yet reached out to that manufacturer to see if it was the model or the unit at fault.

Having said that, I'm looking at other options, including some dual-hard drive enclosures that can also be used for cloning.

I also may in the market for another 8-bay Terra Tower that can handle up to 8 4TB drives. Any suggestions for someone trying to keep it under $400?

C-Pup

Reformating a 3 GB USB drive into just one partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.