Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferrring stuff

Hi fellow Mac users-I have a question for you, which might have been answered elsewhere. I'm kinda new to the whole transferring your backed up stuff to a new computer, but I do have a backup in the form of a Time Capsule/Time Machine 2TB used regularly. I will be getting a Mac Pro 5,1 sooner, and I'm wondering how to go about transferring my stuff to the new machine. I have two hard drives in my current 3,1 and I will be updating the new one to Yosemite, so it just a matter of shutting down, opening up the side, putting the older hard drives into the hard drive sleds, sliding them in so that they go in all the way, then putting the side back on and rebooting. Do I need to bother with Migration assistant?

thanks

John B

Mac Pro Quad core

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 2:56 PM

As long as the OS on the boot drive is at least as new as the MacPro5,1, you can just move the drives. Some commercial software may refuse to run, and a few settings, such as the Energy Saver ones, won't carry over.

(123576)

2 replies

transferrring stuff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.