Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to fresh install Mavericks (it gives me no other choice) on my erased MacBook Pro HD prior to selling on. It does not give me choice to use any other OS. Yet Mavericks is not available. ?? What to do please?

I wish to sell my 2008 MacBook Pro. Have erased hard disk and when I went to fresh instal Mavericks OSX 10.6 (it gives me no other choice in the disk utility program) It says in the Apple Store, it is unavailable. But because this is done from disk utility there is no operating system or access to choose another OS eg Yosemite. I cannot download anything using my iMac as that came ready loaded with Yosemite, so it does not show as a purchase. I do not want to use the Time Machine backup as that has all my details, apps etc. in it. Would the best way be to purchase a disk containing Mavericks the OS that was on it most recently. Can anyone offer advice please?

MacBook Pro, 2008 MacBook.

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 9:45 AM

You need to re-install the OS the computer shipped with using the disks that were supplied with the computer. Contact Apple Support and have the serial number of your computer available. They will send you new disks for a small fee.

Selling old Mac

Selling old Mac (2)

Selling old Mac (3)

Selling old Mac (4) Apple support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2015 9:45 AM in response to delysefromnewton abbot

You need to re-install the OS the computer shipped with using the disks that were supplied with the computer. Contact Apple Support and have the serial number of your computer available. They will send you new disks for a small fee.

Selling old Mac

Selling old Mac (2)

Selling old Mac (3)

Selling old Mac (4) Apple support

Mar 7, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes I see, thank you very much Eric. I have bookmarked the several advice pages and will follow it up as you suggest. I sold on my old iMac recently and had to go through the process which I did completely without any problems, erasing and using the disk supplied with that Mac. I will have to get copies of the OS from Apple as I do not appear to have the 2 grey ones for the laptop now. Thank you again for your speedy response.

I am trying to fresh install Mavericks (it gives me no other choice) on my erased MacBook Pro HD prior to selling on. It does not give me choice to use any other OS. Yet Mavericks is not available. ?? What to do please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.