Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently poor WiFi on my Macbook Air

I have a MacBook Air (late-2010 model). Recently, whist on holiday in Asia, my laptop malfunctioned and a trusted friend took it to the local authorized service provider. They diagnosed a hardware problem and exchanged the power supply component. The laptop worked again as before. Great.

However, since then I have been encountering permanent, persistent WIFI connectivity issues. The WIFI signal may be indicated as strong, but when I attempt to connect to a network it either takes far too much time trying, it may drop the connection attempt altogether, and if it does connects, it often fails to find the router.

The WIFI diagnostics tool suggested that the country code diverges from that of the router (that should not be a show-stopper though). It also complains about a noisy WIFI environment. However even if I sit next to the router, the problems persist. If it does connect and succeeds to find the router, my internet connection is ridiculously slow. Using Alt + click on the WIFI icon shows that the signal strength as well as the noise level are at - 89 dBm.

What could the problem be?

I think it's a hardware issue as I have already done a disk repair and safe / restore boot. It was also suggested by some user posts that I read here of reports where the antenna was not correctly hooked into to the wifi chip.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6), null

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:02 PM

1 reply

Mar 6, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Mac2BookUser

I think it's a hardware issue as I have already done a disk repair and safe / restore boot. It was also suggested by some user posts that I read here of reports where the antenna was not correctly hooked into to the wifi chip.

Even before you stated the issue as antenna, as soon as you said the signal level so low.. I would say 99% sure it is wireless antennas have not been connected properly.Or at all.

You will need to take it to another service centre and get them to fix it.. no other way around it.

Even if the fault turns out to be something else it has to be checked.

Permanently poor WiFi on my Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.