Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug when changing patch w/external MIDI Channel strips

Just upgraded from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1

There's a bug that really bugs me (pardon the pun), when changing patches on MS using External MIDI channel strips, if the sustain pedal is pressed before a patch change and then released after the patch change (the second patch not having that same Midi Channel strip) MS doesn't send the CC 64 value to 0 to the Midi channel strip from the first patch when the pedal is released, as a result whatever notes you were sustaining on that external synth would atrociously carry on ringing .

In the past I pointed out a similar Bug for one of the many previous updates of MS, the only difference back then was that instead of the sustain pedal value not being sent after a patch change it was the Note off values. Someone back then found a work around using a bypassed TestOsc insert and that did the trick, tried that this time and had no luck.

Please someone help! I can't go back now and I don't wanna downgrade because that would imply getting an illegal copy of MS on my system. It is really disappointing to find out the older version works better than the update.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 3:14 PM

6 replies

Mar 8, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Monosock

I haven't been able to duplicate your problem. I created an external channel strip, sustained a note and changed to a patch without an external channel strip and released the sustain pedal(CC64 value 0 was sent) and there were no stuck notes. How is your keyboard connected to the MacBook Pro? Are any other MIDI devices connected? I'm using 3.1.1 with Yosemite. I never had this problem with MS 2 either. There must be something else causing the problem. Try changing MIDI cables. If you're using a USB to MIDI cable, try a different one. I'll help you track it down if I can.

Mar 8, 2015 7:49 PM in response to lifenoise

Doubt is a Midi connection issue, as I'm using exactly the same Concert that worked perfectly fine on MS 3.0.4

I just opened up the MIDI monitor App to see whats going in and out my MIDI ports and exactly as I narrated the MIDI CC 64 is not set to 0 once i've changed the patch. In actual fact I just realized that in the inside Mainstage the graphics for my sustain pedal seems to be pressed after it successfully received the Midi CC 64= 0 (see image below) as you can see my Midi monitor is receiving sucesfully a CC64 value on cero but is failing to recognize it as it looks as if my sustain pedal was still pressed (sustain pedal is the left pedal at the bottom of my layout), I need to point out that The Sustain pedal was pressed before a patch change occurred (in this case the " keys/Choir" patch) and released after the patch was changed (in this case I-7 Piano 1) I need to point out as well that the Sustain pedal works perfectly fine when staying in one patch, it receives and transmits its values as you'd expect (just in case you're assuming is something to do with my "type" of controller assigned in the Layout window)

User uploaded file

Now about that issue I had in the past, that was about 4 years ago with one of the early updates of MS2, it was that version that had a major issue with the pitch bend as well (instead of having a range of 0-127 it was something ridiculous like 0-3000) can't remember exactly what version it was but on the release notes of the following update they mentioned both bugs (pitch bend and sticky/ring out notes on patch change) were fixed, then the ringing out notes bug happened again not too long ago about 2 years ago. (Just wanted to say it did happen! i don't wanna come across as someone who is talking plain nonsense 😉)

As I mention before, this very same concert worked perfectly on 3.0.4 . If you still cannot recreate the problem the only thing that comes to my mind is the OS i'm using I'm on 10.9.5 and frankly I'm extremely reluctant to upgrade to Yosemite due to all the things i've heard about it.

Mar 9, 2015 11:07 AM in response to lifenoise

that didn't work for me tried all the buffer sizes available (I'm normally on 64 and it works perfectly fine) and it didn't do the trick. Plus I can't see why I need to lower the quality of my performance (increasing the latency degrades the responsiveness of my performance) for a bug that clearly needs to be addressed , that would only be making things worse rather than solving a problem!!!

I've reported it to apple a couple of times, ive seen these support boards and I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm assuming you work for Apple's Logic/MS department, it would be extremely helpful if you could give the heads up to the programers as well so they can fix it for the next update. in the mean time I'd have to downgrade to 3.0.4 as that version was much more stable, I cannot risk having ringout notes live for a whole tour.

Mar 9, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Monosock

You assumed wrong. I don't work for Apple(wish I did). I'm just a working musician who enjoys solving problems. As the latency issue, a few years ago with an earlier version of MS 2, there was an issue where the I/O buffer numbers didn't accurately state the values. I don't know if that's an issue now, but a higher buffer worked for me this time with no loss of performance.

Bug when changing patch w/external MIDI Channel strips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.