Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage An error occurred during activation. Try again.

Can't seem to get iMessage to work on my iPad. It's working on my Macbook and iPhone. I have tried every suggestion I can find including completely resetting the iPad. Any original suggestions?

iPad, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:18 PM

1 reply

Mar 8, 2015 12:51 PM in response to drinkin

Howdy drinkin,

If you have not been able to activate iMessage, I would recommend you use the troubleshooting in the following article:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

Check your device settings

1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that your time zone is set up correctly.

Turn off iMessage and FaceTime and restart

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.

Still not activated after an hour?

It might take a few minutes to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If you've waited more than an hour, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

iMessage An error occurred during activation. Try again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.