Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What machine do I need to run Aperture efficient?

HI everbody,

I have been working with Aperture on a Mac mini with an 27 Apple monitor for a few years. Memory is upgraded to the max in the unit I have. It seems that with every upgrade of the operating system the unit slowed down.

To a point at I do not even want to work with it any longer. What machine do I need to run Aperture efficient? Do I need to upgrade to a mac pro or would the latest Mac mini do it?

On a side note. Can a Aperture library be split in several different once?

thanks for the input!

Aperture 3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 6:58 PM

A Mac mini might be a stretch.

Basically, you need at least 4 GB of RAM, though 8 GB is recommended. And you really want a machine with flash storage (i.e. SSD). That can make all the difference in the world, as an SSD these days is 5x or more faster than a conventional hard drive.

As to your side question, yes, an Aperture library can be split into several libraries by exporting sets of libraries as a new project and then deleting those profiles from the original library. However, in general this won't make Aperture any faster.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 6:58 PM in response to dirkfromhoover

A Mac mini might be a stretch.

Basically, you need at least 4 GB of RAM, though 8 GB is recommended. And you really want a machine with flash storage (i.e. SSD). That can make all the difference in the world, as an SSD these days is 5x or more faster than a conventional hard drive.

As to your side question, yes, an Aperture library can be split into several libraries by exporting sets of libraries as a new project and then deleting those profiles from the original library. However, in general this won't make Aperture any faster.

What machine do I need to run Aperture efficient?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.