Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo management, once and for all...help!

This will be an eye-roller for some of you, but my thousands of photos have become a jungle and I don't understand how to manage them.

-iPhoto

-photo stream

-camera uploads

Where is "ground zero" for all of my photos - is there one? - and how can I wrangle them all into one place for easy management? I delete a photo from one place, only to find it again in some other place (or two).

Also, if I delete photos from iPhoto on my MacBook Air (I'm out of disk space...again....), does it automatically delete them from iPhoto on my iMac too?

I think I literally need someone to draw me a picture of how photo storage works on Mac products.

Thank you.....

C

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 5:19 PM

1 reply

Mar 6, 2015 5:50 PM in response to carawayrtw

iPhoto is a database program that keeps everything in a database - by default the iPhoto library in your pictures folder on your hard drive

Assuming you have a default managed library then it has no connection of any sort to anything outside of your Mac - not the cloud - not any other Mac - nothing

Once photos are imported into the iphoto database (viewed in an event or in Photos view) nothing else affects them

Nothing you do "automatically" deletes photos form iphoto events

MyPhotoStream is not a place to store photos but a stream to move photos between devices - they can be automatically imported into iPhoto (see the iPhoto preferences ==> iCloud) to become part of your library - if they are not then they are transient and only available for 30 days max

By default camera uploads go into the iphoto library that you upload them into

If you have specific questions please post them

LN

photo management, once and for all...help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.