Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't ger my phone out of recovery mode

i tried to restore my iPhone to factory settings however half way through it was unable to complete for some reason. Now my phone is stuck on the screen saying it needs to be connected to iTunes. When I do, I get the option to retore but then I get a notice saying there was a problem downloading the software. An unknown error occurred (-39). Help !!!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 6:02 PM

1 reply

Mar 8, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Ambpetersen

Hi there Ambpetersen,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you’re seeing an alert message when attempting to restore your iPhone, which is in recovery mode, with iTunes. Do you see a similar alert message when trying to download some other content, like TV shows or music, from the iTunes Store?

Try updating iTunes and disabling any web accelerators that are installed on your PC, as suggested in this article:

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support

"Error 39"

This can be caused by outdated iTunes software or web accelerators.

To resolve, download the latest version of iTunes for Windows at apple.com/itunes/download/

If already on the latest version, look at disabling or uninstalling any web accelerator software and restarting.

Also, try the general troubleshooting suggestions in the article below.

Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes - Apple Support

Ciao,

-Jason

Can't ger my phone out of recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.