Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP z24 display incorrect resolution on Mac Pro

I have a new Mac Pro and a HP z24 display. I have the resolution set to the proper 1920x1200 but the image is still displaying larger than the viewable area on the monitor. I can only see a portion of my dock and I cant see the menu bar at all. I've tried using different resolutions and I've tried using a different connection. I'm currently connected with HDMI and I've tried using and HDMI to mini adapter, both with the same result.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 5:59 PM

8 replies

Mar 6, 2015 8:41 PM in response to Josh Fredman

You Mac will only allow resolutions the display says it can do, and I expect the display can't go much higher than 1080p over HDMI. In addition, most readily available HDMI cables are intended for TV sets running no higher than about 1920 by 1080p.

So, in my opinion, the problem is that you are trying to get higher than 1080p across an HDMI cable. Try a DisplayPort family cable -- your results will be much better.

Mar 7, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Josh Fredman

in addition to ilaass's post:

the hdmi input is meant as a video input. so through hdmi, the display most likely identifies to the computer as a full HD video monitor. this will result in a resolution of 1080 x 1920, because 1200 x 1920 is NOT a video resolution.

you can test this easily: connect by hdmi cable as you did. switch display resolution in your computer's setting to 1080 x 1920. is the picture correct now?

accessing your display through DVI or display port will result in full resolution, so choose this.

Mar 7, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Josh Fredman

DisplayPort cable is cheaper, does no conversions, and supports much higher resolutions.

DVI works up through 1920 wide, then you need a very expensive ACTIVEDUla-Link adapter to go higher -- Dual-Link adapter does a big conversion, has several chips inside, needs an additional USB pigtail for additional power, and costs about US$100.

HP z24 display incorrect resolution on Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.