Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update because wrong email

My parents bought me a used Mac Laptop Christmas one year, since it was used, there was an email saved in the App Store.

There are a few things I can NOT update because the update for it is threw this email that is NOT mine.

iPhotos being one of them, I now can NOT access iPhotos because it needs to be updated, I googled this issue but never found anything to fix it.

I do NOT know what to do, please help.

I mostly care about iPhotos but the other updates are:

Software Update OS X Update 10.10.2

Xcode

iPhoto

iMovie

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:45 PM

13 replies

Mar 7, 2015 3:20 AM in response to BabyDollNina

BabyDollNina,the problem is, that these applications are associated with the previous owner's AppleID and the right to use them cannot be transferred to a different AppleID, when you sell a Mac.

As Niel said, you have to download version of the apps, that are associated with your appleID, to be able to update them. And hurry to do that, do it today, iPhoto will soon no longer be available from the AppSore.

I am puzzled, that you cannot even update to MacOS X 10.10.2. Which version of iPhoto and MacOS X are you currently running?

What model of Mac do you have?

Mar 9, 2015 11:56 PM in response to BabyDollNina

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Mar 11, 2015 4:04 PM in response to BabyDollNina

1. Yes, but see #2.

2. If Mac OS X itself is tied to an Apple ID, the whole OS needs to be erased and reinstalled; to do this on a computer which shipped with Mac OS X 10.7 or newer, restart with the Option, Command, and R keys held down, use the Disk Utility to erase the main partition, and reload the OS. Back up all your data first; this process will erase everything on the volume, including Xcode and iMovie.

(123975)

Can't update because wrong email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.