Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto to lightroom questions

I Know that there is a plug-in to convert from iPhoto to lightroom. Currently I import photos from my cameras SD card into iPhoto on my MacBook Air. I want to convert to lightroom through the plug-in to preserve albums, keywords, etc., but then I want to move myimages and my iPhoto library to an external hard drive to free up spec on the macbook and change my backup routine. What is the best way to do this? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:37 PM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2015 9:27 PM in response to mdanubio4

There is no supported way to convert from iPhoto to LR except to export from iPhoto and import to LR - since you can not ever use them together then why not simply stop using iPhoto totally and import directly into LR and never touch iPhoto

As to the capabilities and directions for a third party plug in you need to contact the supplier's support - it does not involve iPhoto in an way

LN

Mar 6, 2015 11:20 PM in response to LarryHN

unless I am misunderstanding, your answer is inaccurate. See the attached for details on the supported way to transition from iPhoto to LR: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/

I can do this but not sure what to do after in terms of moving my photos from IPhoto to the hard drive. By the way, the reason I would use the importer plug-in as opposed to jjust importing into lightroom is that I would lose the image enhancements as well as all the cataloging by album that I hope to preserve. Not sure that I can heed future advice from you on this topic if you weren't aware of the plug-in that has been available for months.

Mar 7, 2015 3:09 AM in response to mdanubio4

By the way, the reason I would use the importer plug-in as opposed to jjust importing into lightroom is that I would lose the image enhancements as well as all the cataloging by album that I hope to preserve.

I would not call this plug-in a supported way to migrate, because the support is poor and it is nt a full migration - perhaps that is where the misunderstanding is coming from. The plug-in does only part of the job. The list of what it cannot migrate losslessly is long, none of the adjustments. Even when using the plug-in you will have to recreate all your edits again in Lightroom.

As to the IPCT and EXIF, the keywords - the plug-in does only transfer the fields that would be transferred anyway when exporting the edited versions. What it makes it easier is preserving your library structure as close as possible.

I would not migrate this way. Since I have to edit every photo again anyway, and the smart albums cannot be mapped exactly to Lightrooms structure, I would use the chance to rethink the design of my library and start over by making a clean, new design and weeding out redundant photos.

Just like throwing out most of the garbage, when moving to a new home.

Mar 7, 2015 8:23 AM in response to LarryHN

Not supported - pretty simple - it is not supported - it is an unsupported third party application - and as I said

As to the capabilities and directions for a third party plug in you need to contact the supplier's support - it does not involve iPhoto in an way

As to knowing or not knowing - again that is really trivial - it is not an Apple product, is not supported, I dod not use LightRoom (I use iPhoto and there again is NO way to use them together) ergo I have no interest in at plus in to do something I do not want to do for a product that I do not use

As to listening - you do what you want - as you can see I help lots and lots of people with iphoto issues and when they need other support as you do I tell them - some are not quick enough to understand what smiple english (ike NOT Supported) means - those it is impossible to help

Have a nice day

LN

Mar 7, 2015 12:38 PM in response to LarryHN

Honestly I was hoping you would answer my original post based on the answers I have seen from you in the past about iPhoto. My apologies - I realize the plug-in comes from Lightroom and is thus not supported by Apple but that doesn't mean there isn't a clearly identifiable roadmap to complete the process. I guess what I was hoping to find was someone who had the experience with iPhoto and lightroom to give some first hand experience. If you know of anyone that can help I would welcome their expertise. Keep up the good work - you are helping a lot of people here.

iPhoto to lightroom questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.