Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Multiple Artists in one action?

Hi,

I want to do a big clean up on an iTunes library with over 4000 albums.

How can I delete multiple Artists in one action?

It looks like I can only delete 1 Artist at a time, and then this action shoots me to the top of the list. Which is a pain then having to scroll back down through such a huge list to then delete the others one at a time... each time being shot back to the top of the list.

For example I have the following artists;

The Alarm 01 – 1 song

The Alarm 02 – 1 song

The Alarm 03 – 1 song

The Alarm 04 – 1 song

The Alarm 05 – 1 song

The Alarm 06 – 1 song

And I want to delete them all in 1 action.

Can this be done? How best to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 12:46 AM

8 replies

Mar 7, 2015 3:26 AM in response to DaveBrock9

Which view are you using? In either Songs or Albums view you can select any number of items (independent of artist) - use shift-click to select sequential items, ctrl-click otherwise. Then:

• if you are looking at the library press delete on the keyboard, or right-click > Delete with the mouse
  • if you are looking at a playlist, hold down SHIFT as you using either method above

Mar 7, 2015 7:20 AM in response to DaveBrock9

You can't delete "artists" - just songs (or songs grouped into albums). When iTunes displays the library or a playlist in Artists view it is doing so using the metadata values set in the relevant songs. If you're looking at this view:

User uploaded file

then your selections in the left pane - the artists list - is filtering what you see on the right. When you select Delete via the keyboard or via a right-click operation, you are initiating an operation to delete the songs by that artist. To delete songs by more than one artist in a single operation you'll need to select and delete in Albums view:

User uploaded file

or in Songs view:

User uploaded file

where you can also use the Column Browser to filter songs by multiple artists:

User uploaded file

How to delete Multiple Artists in one action?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.