Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Rotation on a B&W G3

Hey everyone,

I have a great Dell FP1901 Monitor that supports portrait mode (it swivels 90 degrees easily) and I've heard that Tiger supports it natively.

Anyway, I have the latest version of Tiger: 10.4.8 and I still cannot get the screen rotation option. Does the typical video card on the B&W G3 not support screen rotation? I have the ATI Rage 128 or whatever is the normal card that comes with the B&W G3s.

Let me know what I have to do - since this would be a feature I would get a TON of use out of, being a web designer.

Thanks!

Tim

B&W G3. 450Mhz., Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 11, 2006 9:23 AM

13 replies

Oct 11, 2006 1:24 PM in response to Timothy Shutes

I don't have Tiger, but a quick search on Google brought up this: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050505095132556.

Update:
This Apple document suggests it is a feature of the graphics card, if you can see the rotation option, you can rotate the screen otherwise, you're out of luck.

This should allow you to put the screen in portrait mode, though it sounds like you'll have to manually flick between modes.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Oct 14, 2006 6:23 AM in response to Timothy Shutes

Hi - I'm looking for someone who can help me - I have an OS that supports screen rotation (10.4.8) and a monitor that supports it: Dell 1901FP and (I'm told) a graphics card that supports it: ATI Rage 128 (faster card in the r.2 Motherboards)

So I'm assuming one of two things

1.) The Graphics card I have actually does NOT support screen rotation

2.) I have a driver issue somewhere - and for some reason the OS does not think my monitor has that feature available. Or, does not think the graphics card can handle it.

Does anyone know more specific information on this topic - I have tried customer service at Dell and ATI with no help. (no surprise there)

Thanks - I've always been able to have my question answered on these forums - surely someone knows about this issue.

Tim

B&W G3. 450Mhz. Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Oct 14, 2006 7:02 AM in response to Timothy Shutes

From what I understand the monitor has nothing to do with the rotation of the screen. For example my NEC Laptop running Windows XP can rotate the screen, as it can on my external 19" TFT Targa Visionary monitor. There is nothing special about either screen, or the drivers used (Plug & Play). The screen rotation is handled by the Intel graphics driver. The fact that you can easily physically rotate your screen is irrelevant to the way the graphics card draws to it.

Now I think about it, Tiger supports screen rotation on some graphics cards. What does my NEC Laptop and some Macs have in common? An integrated Intel 9xx GMA graphics card.

As Apple did not mention any specific monitor requirements on the page I already cited I would surmise from this that it is your graphics card that does not support the screen rotation and rather than being computationally expensive the rotation is handled by the graphics card (by simply changing the order it reads from it memory for conversion in the DAC).

So to concur with your assumptions: 1. Your graphics card seems not to support screen rotation.

I am unaware of a 3rd party PCI card based on the Intel 9xx GMA, nor do I know of a Mac compatible PCI ATI card which would allow you to rotate the screen in Tiger.

Not that it helps with your particular setup but I would put money on your Dell monitor working perfectly with a shiny new Mac mini.

Hope that helps.

Jason.

Oct 14, 2006 7:32 AM in response to Timothy Shutes

I know - I'm really considering upgrading soon here (i.e. when finances allow it).

Thank you - I agree that it's a graphics card issue. My only question now is that since I am running Tiger on an older mac, could this just be a driver issue - i.e. that Tiger doesn't recognize my graphics card as being able to do that, but in reality it does? Or is it definitely a hardware issue..

Anyone know anything specifically?

Tim

Oct 26, 2006 10:37 AM in response to Timothy Shutes

In other words, ATI told me they have no drivers for my video card on Mac OS X - that those come from apple, and I need to take it up with Apple. They were either completely blowing me off (possible) or saying that the card should support screen rotation, but it's a driver issue.

Where can I find video card drivers for OS 10.4? If there is an updated driver for my Rage 128 card in this B&W machine, then maybe that will fix the issue.

Thankyou everyone for all your help so far, I'm sure this issue is almost resolved.

Tim

Oct 26, 2006 12:57 PM in response to Timothy Shutes

After reviewing both the ATI (AMD) and Apple Driver websites I can find no specific driver for your card. All drivers for OS X are for Radeon or above. You can always try installing the aforementioned Radeon driver, but if the operating system even tries to use it you may end up with other issues.

As I mentioned before I believe screen rotation is a function of the graphics card and is supported directly by the operating system (and included drivers), not a 3rd party driver. Speculation maybe, but I come to this conclusion only by reading this article on the Apple website.

If you feel that ATI are not really answering you, I suggest flat out asking them "Does this card natively support display rotation?". This way you have a platform independent answer, which allows you to decide if a simple software solution would work. I would think Apple would simply cite the above article if asked the same question ("If you can do it, you can see it.").

Hope this helps settle your mind on the issue as short of buying hardware known to support the feature, I feel you are out of luck.

Jason.

Oct 27, 2006 3:35 PM in response to Dave Hamilton

I have a version of the ATI Displays control panel for Radeon cards. It supports my card, but "limited" which basically means all it gives me is the "info" tab and it's basically not supported at all. The control panel is useless - unless you can find an older one like you mentioned - that could be the solution. Thanks!

Tim

B&W G3. 450Mhz. Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Screen Rotation on a B&W G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.