Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting rid of problem photo book

I started work on a new photo book in iPhoto.

After a few pages it started to crash every time I open it the book.

Even right click on book name the application crashes so I can't delete that way.

Any suggestions how I recover?

How can I delete the book and start again??

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 9:07 AM

This is a known bug. It can happen, when you add a specific map to a book.

iPhoto crashing one specific Book Project

If you cannot select the book to delete it, try to select a range of books:

Even if I could not select the book directly without crashing iPhoto immediately, I could delete it from the iPhoto Library by selecting a range of books and deleting the range. I just created two dummy books and dragged them in the source list directly before and after the bad book. Then I selected the two dummy books while holding down the Shift key, like this. Ctrl-clicking let me select "Delete projects", to remove the book and the damaged book was gone.

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2015 9:07 AM in response to mfromscotland

This is a known bug. It can happen, when you add a specific map to a book.

iPhoto crashing one specific Book Project

If you cannot select the book to delete it, try to select a range of books:

Even if I could not select the book directly without crashing iPhoto immediately, I could delete it from the iPhoto Library by selecting a range of books and deleting the range. I just created two dummy books and dragged them in the source list directly before and after the bad book. Then I selected the two dummy books while holding down the Shift key, like this. Ctrl-clicking let me select "Delete projects", to remove the book and the damaged book was gone.

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2015 3:07 AM in response to mfromscotland

Thousand thanks Leonie that was a clever fix. Problem now solved.

You're welcome.

I was busy adding a second full page map to my iPhoto Book.

Could that have caused the crash?

Is their guidance to have only one map per book??

It is not the number of maps, that is causing this, but one particular map theme. For me the crashes started, when I connected the locations by arrows to show the route, the same as AnnaRoosendaal posted: Re: iPhoto crashing one specific Book Project

User uploaded file

I would test in a second iPhoto Library, just created for testing, which map theme is working for you and lets you add arrows without crashing. Only then use the map in your main library on your new book. Make frequent backups of your iPhoto library, i.e. before you add a map to the book.

Mar 25, 2015 5:22 AM in response to vhiggins2

Do you know how to access that site????

The bug reports are not sent to a site. They go directly to the Developer team, so the developers have information about crashes with details about the configuration and can work on a bug fix. The rarely will respond to this reports. If they find a bug fix, an update for the application will released sometime later.

If you want to file a bug-report, where the chances are higher to get a response, sign up for a developer account.

See this link: Detailed and Effective Bug Reporting | Apple Support Communities

Mar 25, 2015 2:21 PM in response to vhiggins2

Can anyone please give me a number or email to contact to get some help from Apple??????

See this link:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Better not include your email address in the posts here in a public, works-wide user forum; you are inviting a flood of SPAM this way.

I have a backup thing attached to my computer but still couldn't access the book.

You cannot restore individual items from your iPhoto Library from the backup, you need to restore the complete iPhoto library:

See: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Getting rid of problem photo book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.