Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for a driver for an HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N super drive...

The drive is connected, can be seen, is recognized by the System Profiler, yet it refuses to burn, no matter what kind of media I use.

Am I missing some sort of driver for the DVD burning operation? Where can I get such a driver?

Czet

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010); 16GB RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 8:42 AM

9 replies

Mar 12, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Czet

You say the drive is connected... is this an external optical drive? If this drive didn't ship in the computer when it left the Apple manufacturing plant, it is considered a third-party drive and you will need to contact the manufacturer of the drive in order to get any necessary support for it. Apple only supplies drivers for their own hardware or that hardware that the manufacturer provides drivers for.

Also, disc burning can be a fickle thing... your choice of media can make a world of difference. So if you are using the same media over and over again trying to get it to burn a disc, maybe you should consider trying a different brand.

Start off by telling us whether this drive came pre-installed by Apple or is a third-party drive. Whether it is an internal or external drive, if third party. If it's not an Apple supplied drive, where did you get it from? Right now, everyone is assuming that it is an Apple drive. I'm not so sure that is the case at the moment.

Mar 12, 2015 11:42 AM in response to pmiles

Good Point. I cannot guarantee that the drive shipped with the original computer. I purchased the computer "used" and it came with the drive installed internally. I ASSUMED (always tricky) that the drive was original. System profiler (maybe also not entirely reliable for this information) shows:

User uploaded file

Mar 12, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Czet

My system profiler says the exact same thing and I know it's an Apple supplied drive. I think you can assume the drive is at least going to be recognized as such.

Have you tried using another application to try an burn discs with? I'm assuming that you are attempting burn a simple data DVD and not playable DVD movie.

You could download something like Burn and see if your drive works with other software. I personally would use something like Toast from Roxio but they don't offer a trial and no point in spending money if the drive isn't working right. I have no personal use with this software, so keep that in mind before trying.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

If you can get it to burn a disc successfully using a different application than what comes with OSX, then it's likely a software issue. Perhaps you need to reinstall the OS. If it won't burn a disc, consider the real possibility that the optical drive is no longer working.

When was the last time you successfully burned a data DVD with this drive?

Searching for a driver for an HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N super drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.