Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Safari no longer auto-filling in passwords?

Up until this morning, Safari and Keychain were working and would auto-fill in passwords to various websites. I changed no preferences, deleted no keychain items, nor made any changes to the security settings, but now Safari refuses to fill in passwords. I also can't find these passwords in the Keychain Access; if I *change* the password, Safari asks if I would like to change the stored password. If I say 'yes', there is still no password recorded in the Keychain. If I try to make a new account on a website with a new password, Safari pops up with its usual suggested password; if I select it and move forward, I can not find this stored password anywhere (either Keychain or Safari). ***? I should just use 1Pass and Chrome.

The only weird thing that happened was I was trying to select between two different accounts/passwords on a website; it gave the usual beige/yellow selection box for selecting which stored password/acct to use, then it just went away before I could select something. After that, the above behavior started.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 2:38 PM

Back up all data. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2015 2:38 PM in response to enrecul

Back up all data. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

Mar 14, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

After I originally wrote my question I started a system restore from a Time Machine backup. When it was done, the problem was gone, but now I have a related problem. The Keychain doesn't seem to store new passwords. So, I was going to try your suggestion, but I can't actually get into the the iCloud preferences to uncheck the Keychain box. I put in my password (which works, I tried on iTunes and other things), and it thinks for a minute, but everything else stays gray. Any idea?

Why is Safari no longer auto-filling in passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.