Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make OS 9.0.4 Finder open folders in same window?

I've been using OS X for so many years now that I can't remember if this is possible. In the OS 9 Finder, when you double-click a folder icon, it spawns a new window, rather than replacing the contents of the current one. Is it possible to have OS 9 keep things in the same window? I don't see it anywhere in prefs or Control Panels. Might there have been a third-party solution?

BTW, I know that option-double-clicking the folder will auto-close the parent window when the new one opens. What I'm looking to do is have it all take place in one window.

Thanks,

DM

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 11:00 PM

Can't be done - OS 9 just does not have that capability.

A couple of other Finder features of OS 9 you may find usable -

- if you hold down the Option key while clicking the Close box for a window, all open windows for that program will be closed. In Finder, that includes an array of open fiolders.

- if you hold down the Option key while clicking in the window of another program, all windows for the original program will be hidden and the focus will switch to the program whose window was clicked. For Finder, the Desktop is considered an open window for this purpose.

Note - both of those work in OS X also.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2015 11:00 PM in response to Doctormelodious

Can't be done - OS 9 just does not have that capability.

A couple of other Finder features of OS 9 you may find usable -

- if you hold down the Option key while clicking the Close box for a window, all open windows for that program will be closed. In Finder, that includes an array of open fiolders.

- if you hold down the Option key while clicking in the window of another program, all windows for the original program will be hidden and the focus will switch to the program whose window was clicked. For Finder, the Desktop is considered an open window for this purpose.

Note - both of those work in OS X also.

Make OS 9.0.4 Finder open folders in same window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.