Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not turning on

Lsat night I went to turn in my mac book, it's seems I have some grey screen and after attempting to resolve the issue with Apple, it seems I might have to take it in for a repair my issue is how can I get important stuff of it like photos. Very important photos..

i Am quite distraut thinking I may lose very important photos.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 3:49 PM

2 replies

Mar 7, 2015 4:59 PM in response to kyliefrompakenham

you have a few options.

1. Start your computer in TARGET DISK mode, and connect to another computer. Your computer will appear as an external drive on that computer.

for more info on that OS X Mountain Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

2. Remove the hard drive and put it into an external case, plug it into another computer.

I get them at Fry's Electronics, if you don't have one near you, you can order online from them or someone else, or another retail store. I usually pick the cheap one. http://www.frys.com/product/7264813;jsessionid=ltdL9nftTVAs6C4NPhcc+Q__.node3?si te=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG . Just make sure you choose the right interface, IDE, SATA, etc...to either Fireware or USB, whichever you prefer.

OK, now that you are connected to another computer, check if your files are there.... Hopefully your drive has not failed.

If your photos are in iPhoto, they will be in your user directory, under Pictures/iPhoto Library. you can use the GO: Go To Folder menu and type ~/Pictures/ to get there easily.

If your pictures are not there, and you put them elsewhere, you might check your desktop by going to ~/Desktop/ , your documents ~/Documents/ your downloads ~/Downloads/

If you have them elsewhere, just your drive and find them.

MacBook Pro not turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.