Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About the little scrollbar arrows...

...is there any way to get these back in Mac OS X Yosemite? Or do I need to downgrade all the way to Snow Leopard just get these seemingly trivial but for me necessary things back?

n.b. I am not talking about the scrollbar visibility which can be turned on or off in preferences, but the small arrows at the top and bottom of each scrollbar.

Examples where this is necessary:

Navigating a large spreadsheet and editing a formula: using the little arrows allows moving up or down a line and you can then click on the visible cells to build up an equation.

While it is possible to move around a spreadsheet using the keyboard arrows, this also changes the insertion point and so your edit is lost.

In Photoshop: working with hundreds of layers, the little arrows allow fine control over the layers list.

In Dreamweaver Adobe have now addressed the issue by creating their own scrollbars within the application which DO have the little arrows, is this the intention for every OS X application to have different scrollbars with subtly different behaviour?

Apple could have left at least an the option to display these in Preferences and I have no idea why they decided to remove them altogether.

Does anyone know how or if there's a possibility of getting the arrows back? or if theres a workaround people have that allows working on documents larger in size than a few pages?

There is a previous thread on this in the old Lion forum, so this has been a problem for some time now, I suspect its a major reason for people still running Snow Lepoard:

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 5:25 PM

7 replies

Mar 8, 2015 1:41 AM in response to BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah wrote:

...is there any way to get these back in Mac OS X Yosemite? Or do I need to downgrade all the way to Snow Leopard just get these seemingly trivial but for me necessary things back?

n.b. I am not talking about the scrollbar visibility which can be turned on or off in preferences, but the small arrows at the top and bottom of each scrollbar.

Examples where this is necessary:

Navigating a large spreadsheet and editing a formula: using the little arrows allows moving up or down a line and you can then click on the visible cells to build up an equation.

While it is possible to move around a spreadsheet using the keyboard arrows, this also changes the insertion point and so your edit is lost.

In Photoshop: working with hundreds of layers, the little arrows allow fine control over the layers list.

In Dreamweaver Adobe have now addressed the issue by creating their own scrollbars within the application which DO have the little arrows, is this the intention for every OS X application to have different scrollbars with subtly different behaviour?

Apple could have left at least an the option to display these in Preferences and I have no idea why they decided to remove them altogether.

Does anyone know how or if there's a possibility of getting the arrows back? or if theres a workaround people have that allows working on documents larger in size than a few pages?

There is a previous thread on this in the old Lion forum, so this has been a problem for some time now, I suspect its a major reason for people still running Snow Lepoard:

Gone 4 years ago, sorry. I would highly doubt that they will ever return now. You can send feedback to Apple, but if they haven't returned them in four years then I would doubt you will see them again.

Pete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.