Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a solution to the Wifi loss while in clamshell mode?

I am using a mid 2012 retina MacbBook Pro running Mavericks in clamshell mode connected to an external monitor over HDMI with a Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard over Bluetooth. Wifi works great while the lid is open on my mac but once I shut it completely, Wifi stops working. It shows full bars, but will not work. Since apple supports clamshell mode and says my Mac should operate normally in clamshell mode, why am I having this issue? Is there a solution besides opening my MBP lid?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 5:59 PM

You may need to adjust some System Preferences. Here is a support article that you should be able to use as a checklist to make sure you have everythng set up correctly:

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display - Apple Suppor…

Cheers,

GB

11 replies

Mar 8, 2015 7:32 AM in response to gail from maine

Although I do appreciate your response, I will let you know that I posted my question based off of the support article you linked me to. That article is great for first time users in closed clamshell mode, but it does not explain why Wifi stops working. Everything else works fine so I know I am doing it correctly. I believe this is an issue with the wifi antennae when the MacBook Pro is closed. Once I open the lid a few inches the Wifi comes back but when it is closed completely and used correctly in closed clamshell mode (as Apple says they support) my wifi shows full bars but does not work. My workaround for now is to open my lid up but I would like to keep it closed on a shelf on my desk and use the peripherals I purchased to make this mode work. If anyone has had this issue and can give some insight, I would appreciate it!

Mar 9, 2015 7:32 AM in response to ecanevascini

I have read that people have solved this by changing the channel on their wireless router. I also read that the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse can be attenuating the signal, along with the metal casing of the mac when it is closed. Although, it does work fine when I use the Bluetooth devices along with the external monitor mirrored. Only when the lid is completely closed and it enters closed clamshell mode does it stop working. What all have you tried to solve this?

Sep 2, 2015 1:08 PM in response to rseiders

Same issue here. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

The instant I closed into clamshell, Wifi died. Even after opening it back up, it refuses to go back onto my wifi network. I joined my slower channel.

I ran a diagnostic. It's a gz file on the desktop. I don't know what good it does anyone.

It boggles my mind that this issue has been ongoing since at least 2012 and there appears to be no resolution that I can find.

Wifi Connectivity while in clamshell

Dec 12, 2015 3:28 AM in response to phpguru

Same here.

Three Macs on the same room on the same table:

1. iMac (Early 2008) OS X 10.9.5
    Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8CBroadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16)
  2. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2015) OS X 10.11.2 in ClamShell Mode
    Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x152)
    Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.94.136.1a1)
  3. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) OS X 10.11.2 in ClamShell Mode
    Airport Extreme (-x14E4, 0xEF)Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.94.135.1a1)

The iMac has the WiFi transmit rate of 39 Mb/s.

The MacBooks have the WiFi transmit rate in range of 7-13 Mb/s

If I open the lid of MacBooks the WiFi transmit rate goes up to 45-100 Mb/s.

Even my Telecom Italia TuttoFIbra WiFi router has problem sending strong wifi signal from about three meters away from my Mac, soI have two distinct faults...

:-(

Is there a solution to the Wifi loss while in clamshell mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.