Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb publishes updates but does not upload in the FTP

HELP!

I have a 'tried-tested-true' website that's been on the internet for 10 years. It's been updated over the years but needed much more as of today.

The updates perfectly publish within iWeb [3.0.4]. The FTP uploads the site, but when I check it on the internet [Safari 6.2.3], the former version appears.

I proceeded to troubleshoot by renaming the website and re-mounting the pages. Also, renaming the pages, but after several attempts of uploading each newer version, all efforts were to no avail. It has taken me a full day without results. That is, the original website remains on the internet, which is very outdated.

I have run out of troubleshooting ideas. All of my other websites have not had this problem. There was an issue this week with the ISP Domain Host services not connecting my site. I contacted them, but have had no response. However, I thought I would try connecting again today in case they sorted out their connectivity issues. I am able to connect to their server. I have good reason to believe the FTP is uploading the updated directory files, but for some reason when it comes to viewing the site on the internet, au contraire.

Not sure if this is an iWeb problem or my ISP domain hosting services having issues with connectivity. Whatever, it is very perplexing to me as to what to do next after the extensive amount of time I have taken troubleshooting.

I repeat myself when I say, 'HELP!'

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 12:39 AM

If you have uploaded the site to your host and the files have been transferred successfully, then there is no reason why they should not be on your server and available to view.

Have you tried clearing your Safari browser cache through all of this? If not, then try it and you might just see the new version of your site and clearing your browser cache was all that you needed to do.

If this does not do the trick, then perhaps you need to ftp the site to your server/host manually - so publish your site to your desktop and use an ftp client such as Cyberduck to connect to your host and ensure that your files are actually being uploaded - if you use Cyberduck you can see exactly what files are on your server.

However, try clearing your browser cache first.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2015 12:39 AM in response to kananaskis

If you have uploaded the site to your host and the files have been transferred successfully, then there is no reason why they should not be on your server and available to view.

Have you tried clearing your Safari browser cache through all of this? If not, then try it and you might just see the new version of your site and clearing your browser cache was all that you needed to do.

If this does not do the trick, then perhaps you need to ftp the site to your server/host manually - so publish your site to your desktop and use an ftp client such as Cyberduck to connect to your host and ensure that your files are actually being uploaded - if you use Cyberduck you can see exactly what files are on your server.

However, try clearing your browser cache first.

Mar 8, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Ethmoid

Thank you! For the information. I do follow the procedure you have mentioned regarding clearing History and the Cache. It is a routine I am most diligent about.

Further, I do upload each file manually on my FTP and it does indicate what is uploaded. I am beginning to think it's the ISP's server given that I am following all your instructions.

I am unfamiliar with your instruction to publish the site to the desktop. May I ask you for more instructions?

Thank you, once again. Most appreciated receiving a response.

Mar 8, 2015 7:40 AM in response to kananaskis

If you do not publish your site to your desktop, then you cannot be uploading your site manually to your server.

If you want to use an ftp client such as Cyberduck, then you will need to publish your site to your desktop from iWeb, so that you have the appropriate html and css files to upload to your server.

In iWeb, all you do is select publish to a folder on your desktop and you site will be published to a folder on your desktop and you use Cyberduck, Transmit or any other ftp application to upload the html and css files to your server.

If you are not doing this, then you are not uploading manually to your site and unless you use an application such as Cyberduck, you won't see what is published on your server.

Mar 8, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Ethmoid

Okay, I understand what you are referencing. I am publishing my websites to the path of 'Users'-Documents-Website Documents.

Below is a screen shot of the folder my Websites are located. Is this what you are referencing? It is Site 2 that is having issues with uploading to the domain host server of my ISP. All the other sites have been uploaded successively.

I use FileZilla as my FTP server and it has been excellent. I have tried CyberDuck, et al. FZ works perfectly well indicating all that one needs to know while uploading. If my other websites were causing the same issues, then it would mean FTP issues.

However, I believe I am on the same track you are referencing with regards to my published website is in the appropriate location on my HD. I stand to be corrected.

I believe by my contacting the Forum and reading your information that I am following protocol as I have always done with my 4 websites that upload properly. As I continue the discussion, it is becoming evident the issue is with the Domain Host server, which is not a problem to post on this Forum.

However, I posted my issue just in case it was an iWeb issue or my not following protocol correctly to publish a website. From what I am gleaning with your information, I am following protocol. Repeating myself when I say it appears to be the aforementioned server. I have contacted them again about their Domain Host server but no response as yet.

If what I am presenting to you is the correct protocol I have in place at my end, I thank you for taking the time to assist me. By doing so, I believe I will be able to determine it is not an iWeb publishing issue [mostly because all my websites are not experiencing this problem], nor is it the FTP server,FileZilla, but the Domain Host Server.

As mentioned above, here is the folder where my websites are located.

I so appreciate your assistance.

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2015 9:23 AM in response to kananaskis

If you publish to folders on your computer, why do you pretend not to understand what 'publish to folder' means?

Is this your website?

http://lanark-baldersonpastoralcharge.ca/Welcome.html

I found it in this topic : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6527208

Some webpages were updated a week ago.

Anyway, once iWeb has published to a folder, iWeb's job is done.

You are now 100% responsible for what you do.

iWeb is NOT part of your problem.

Oh, next time try to be concise and to the point. You talk too much.

iWeb publishes updates but does not upload in the FTP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.