Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a limit on the number of songs you can have in iTunes 7?

I have over 8700 songs in my iTunes (not counting podcasts) - basically my entire music collection I've input into iTunes so I can sync it to my 60GB iPod Video.

I have problems with it crashing and taking forever to open when I use it. I'm on a 1.25GHz G4 MDD PowerMac with the latest 10.4.8 system on it. Fast drive too.

Is there a limit on how much you can put in it? Should I break it into more than one "library" or is that even possible?

Thanks!

Power Mac G4 MDD,1.25 GHz Single, 2 GB RAM, 80GB HD, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 400 GB RAID, Pioneer DVR-110, (2) 60 GB Ipod Video, 1GB Shuffle, 512MB Shuffle

Posted on Oct 11, 2006 10:44 AM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2006 11:22 AM in response to Jim Stembridge

According to the posts I've read, some people have a single library of 200 - 500 GB (some even more) and that doesn't give problems.
As libraries and the number of Smart Playlists grow, the performance will slow down however.
If you also experience decrease in performance, which with your library size does not seem very likely to me, you can create multiple libraries.

Before running iTunes, press and hold the Option-key until you see a window giving you a choice to create another one.
You can also use Libra or iTunes Library Manager to create multiple libraries.
These apps. also save the preferences for each library, which iTunes doesn't.

Hope this helps.

M

17' iMac 800 MHz, 768 MB RAM, 200 GB HD, DL burner Mac OS X (10.4.8) iTunes 7.0.1

Oct 12, 2006 10:19 AM in response to Jim Stembridge

I'm gonna say no to the library size problem! W/ over 200+ gigs and 43000+ songs I am still running itunes. W/ that said it's slow!!! It takes forever to start up and shut down sometimes 14 min. plus! I don't think there is a limit but you sure don't want a big library. Best workable option I've heard yet is to make multiple libraries to keep things small. A lot of my problem is itunes 7. Things were never this slow w/ itunes 6! Maybe it's time to look for a different player.....

Oct 12, 2006 10:26 AM in response to Jason Roberts1

Several of you have mentioned multiple libraries and possibly multiple iPods on one computer. I thought first that only one iPod could sync to a library at a time?

Now about multiple libraries, how does that work? How does iTunes know there are multiple and can it access them all? Does that mean that each library must be synced to a different iPod?

Oct 12, 2006 1:53 PM in response to Jim Stembridge

You can sync multiple iPods with one library:
How to use multiple iPods with one computer.

iTunes doesn't know about multiple libraries. You have to tell iTunes which library to use.
If the library was created by iTunes, holding the Option-key on launching iTunes, will enable a menu to choose one.

If you want to switch to another library, quit iTunes and launch again while holding the Option-key

If you created multiple libraries with one of the 3rd party applications I mentioned in my previous post, you have to quit iTunes too, run the app. and launch iTunes again.

The difference is that these apps. not only save the 'iTunes Library' file, but also the preferences file.
iTunes can only manage one library at a time. That's why you have to quit and relaunch.

You can manually manage your iPod with multiple libraries.
It's about the same as described in this article:
Using iPod with multiple computers

M

17' iMac 800 MHz, 768 MB RAM, 200 GB HD, DL burner Mac OS X (10.4.8) iTunes 7.0.1

Is there a limit on the number of songs you can have in iTunes 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.