Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Setup

I installed a non-flashed NV GTX 980 in my 2008 Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.10.2 after first installing WebDriver-343.02.0f02 for the Quadro 5000. I also entered in Terminal the following commands separately:

nv_spanmodepolicy=1

nvda_drv=1

which were supposed to enable the Mac OS X boot screen so I could use the Option key on boot or restart to select other startup disks. I still do not get the boot screen.

Did I miss something? Thx

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 12:29 PM

Maybe if you have not already read through this thread

So I got the GTX 980 "Mac Edition"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1838090

Last post right now from MacVidCards:

"Black screen.

I found the issue much more likely to come up with 3,1 Mac Pro. This is in fact why we don't list Thomas working in 3,1 when in fact they do but are much more prone to PCIE SSD issues.

If you read through the "NGFF PCIE SSD" thread you wi see several instances where people had issues with a boot drive being recognized as boot drive. This is where I got idea to simply change slots. I was only able to create the situation once in 4,1. I am running Sintech adapted xp941 and Apple SSD blades with I issues.

Typically changing slots or doing PRAM reset will fix. Keep in mind slots 3 & 4 are on a switch sharing same 4 lanes. You can't raid 3 & 4 and get better speeds. Has to be 2 & 3 or 2 & 4. My guess is that the "can't find boot drive" issue that PCIE SSDs have occasionally doesn't play well with our 980 EFI.

I have been able to fix every time rather easily on 4,1."

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2015 12:29 PM in response to foxEone

Maybe if you have not already read through this thread

So I got the GTX 980 "Mac Edition"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1838090

Last post right now from MacVidCards:

"Black screen.

I found the issue much more likely to come up with 3,1 Mac Pro. This is in fact why we don't list Thomas working in 3,1 when in fact they do but are much more prone to PCIE SSD issues.

If you read through the "NGFF PCIE SSD" thread you wi see several instances where people had issues with a boot drive being recognized as boot drive. This is where I got idea to simply change slots. I was only able to create the situation once in 4,1. I am running Sintech adapted xp941 and Apple SSD blades with I issues.

Typically changing slots or doing PRAM reset will fix. Keep in mind slots 3 & 4 are on a switch sharing same 4 lanes. You can't raid 3 & 4 and get better speeds. Has to be 2 & 3 or 2 & 4. My guess is that the "can't find boot drive" issue that PCIE SSDs have occasionally doesn't play well with our 980 EFI.

I have been able to fix every time rather easily on 4,1."

Mar 8, 2015 2:21 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks hatter. I did not precede the Terminal commands with "sudo nvram boot-args=...". However, I 'm led to believe from the thread that it will not work anyway. Since the 980 works fine otherwise in my 3.1 with PCIe SSD card as a boot volume and booting into boot camp using System Preferences, I will likely not mess around and further. If I do and it works, I'll post the results.

Mar 8, 2015 2:29 PM in response to foxEone

You could consider sending it to MacVidCards to have him flash and provide the support needed.

And for now if/when you might ever need to use 10.10.0 installer.... so I would make a reliable bootable clone backup of your system.

For Windows I use Paragon Software to clone Windows (if it is on its own drive is also easier to restore).

CAVEATS
The GeForce GTX 980 was modified by MacVidCards to present a normal startup screen. We used NVIDIA's web driver for the Quadro K5000 for Mac. An unmodified GTX 980 will boot under OS X Yosemite if you don't care about a boot screen. http://barefeats.com/gtx980.html

Mar 16, 2015 12:23 AM in response to foxEone

You have 100% confused what is going on.

The boot args are to enable 5K display via the GTX980.

Has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH BOOTSCREENS.

You need a GTX980 and a Dell UP2715K to use those boot args for anything.

The boot screens are only present when there is a Mac EFI on the card.

Pretty amazing that an older Mac Pro can run a 5K display in OS X while the nifty new cylinder can't do it yet.

Nov 2, 2015 7:43 AM in response to valeriofromreggio emilia

You need to install the Nvidia Web drivers for the card to work.

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p49/Nvidia_GTX_980_Ti_6_GB.html

With a non-flashed card you will not see anything on the screen until right before the login screen loads.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-n on-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.