Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove password for the recovery mode wizard which you get by pressing command r while booting mac with mac os 10.10?

I've set that password long ago and now forgot on how to remove it.

Should I go to Apple store for this?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 12:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 8, 2015 12:51 PM in response to shashankreddy96

Describe what exactly do you see when you are trying to start your Mac to Recovery Mode.

If you have set a firmware password on your Mac and you do not remeber it, then a trip to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider will be necessary...

What is a firmware password and how do I set one up? - Apple Support

MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later, iMac (Mid 2011) and later, Mac mini (Mid 2011), M…

Mar 8, 2015 1:16 PM in response to shashankreddy96

It's possible you set a firmware password, see if the password dialog is similar to the one on this site…

http://osxdaily.com/2014/01/06/set-firmware-password-mac/

Those passwords prevent ALL startup key combinations. Confirm it also happens when you boot holding T (target disk mode - How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support) If that goes to the password dialog you have a firmware password set.

Apple suggest you take it to an Apple store to get it reset, you can't remove the battery or remove RAM to reset this, so only Apple should reset it.

Mar 8, 2015 10:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yep you are right. I forgot what it was called... just got reminded now, firmware password it is. Well, will apple format my computer to reset that password? Coz I have loads of apps which if formated, i will have to re-download all those apps. And also do I have to pay while doing so? Coz in that case, I'll need to take my dad along...

How to remove password for the recovery mode wizard which you get by pressing command r while booting mac with mac os 10.10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.