Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Append not working?

I'm very new to Final Cut Pro, but I'm having some trouble with the append function-- basically, it isn't working at all for me. When I have a clip selected in the browser and try to append it to the storyline, nothing happens.

It doesn't work if I use the button (the insert and connect buttons don't seem to work either), or the keyboard shortcut, or try via the Edit menu. It does work if I simply drag the clips into the project manually.

Does anyone have any idea where I might be going wrong? Is there a setting I might have accidentally enabled somewhere to prevent this from working, or does it only work under certain circumstances? I'm using the trial version, but according to the website no functionality is disabled, so I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm going mad trying to get this sorted out, so any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 12:12 PM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply; please find screenshot attached as requested. The buttons are there, and when I press one, it briefly flashes blue, but nothing happens with the clip. It's the same when I try appending them via the menu.

I created a totally new library of random clips to test this out on (as you can see), but the problem is exactly the same here as it was when I was working on a proper project earlier. Would love if you could tell me where I'm going wrong!

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2015 3:59 PM in response to dkinnes

According to: https://manytricks.com/blog/?p=3049

and: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19303958/deleting-plist-file-does-not-reset-a pp-on-mac-os-10-9-mavericks-10-10-yosemi…

since Mavericks, preference files are cached and only updated periodically by a separate system-wide process and not every time an application is launched. Consequently one has to restart in order to be sure that the changed (or deleted) preference file is recognised by the application.

Geoff.

Nov 30, 2015 4:28 PM in response to GeeD

TThis doesn't apply to FCP which doesn't cache prefs while the application is in use, only on quit, when the application state is stored. Trashing prefs with Opt-Cmd, manual delete, or Preference Manager resets the prefs to the default state. Except for Destinations which have a separate preference set saved when new share settings are created. That can be manually reset but doesn't get reset with the software options.

Append not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.