Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving photo library to external drive

Hi,

My Mac hard drive is really getting full, i've only got 10GB left!

I've bought myself a 1TB external USB hard drive, and would like to move my large iPhoto Library onto it.

If I move it across, and then create a fresh new iPhoto Library on my Mac Hard drive will I still be able to access my old photos on my external drive?

Also will it affect syncing through iTunes, and/or syncing with my iCloud photo stream?

Lastly, can you think of any other things that are generally ok to dump on an external drive and start afresh? I'd like to move my Steam Games, but still access them through the external drive, what do you think?

Thanks for all your help! 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 3:57 PM

5 replies

May 30, 2017 1:10 AM in response to georgefromfelixstowe

Moving an iPhoto Library is simple:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

There is no need to have a second library on your Mac unless you specifically want to, you can just use the one on the external. If you are going to have two libraries this will be much facilitated by using a tool like iPhoto Library Manager.

As long as the drive is correctly formatted everything will work just like it always has.

You can easily move an iTunes Library. I have no idea about games.

May 30, 2017 3:15 AM in response to veeebro

I moved my photo library to my external G Tech 4TB hard drive. And now iTunes won't sync with Photos.?? I believe I reformatted my hard drive the proper way (journaled). I dont know what to do please help!?? Im trying to sync my devices with iTunes and the photos won't sync now.

What format is the drive? How are you connected to it?

Plus, it's best to ask Photos questions at the Photos forum.

Mar 8, 2015 4:23 PM in response to georgefromfelixstowe

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Why would you create a second library on the internal idk? Just use the one on the external.

It makes no difference to syncing.

Regards

TD

Mar 8, 2015 4:23 PM in response to georgefromfelixstowe

If I move it across, and then create a fresh new iPhoto Library on my Mac Hard drive will I still be able to access my old photos on my external drive?

You can switch between libraries, but if you want to access all photos at the same time in one library, then do not start with a new library on the MacBook Pro, but work from the library on the external drive. Splitting your library has draw backs: You can only sync one library with iTunes and only use one library with Photo stream. Working with one big library on your external drive will make it easier to sync all events and albums with iTunes and to search through all photos at once.

I don't know about your Games, sorry.

moving photo library to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.