Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having trouble using multiple displays on Mac Pro 2006 (OS X 10.6.8). System Preferences does not detect my projector. Suggestions?

When I enter System Preferences and select Displays, I am given a button to direct OS X to Detect Displays. But when I choose the button, nothing seems to happen. There are only two tabs visible--Display and Color--neither of which has anything to do with getting the software to recognize that a second cable has been

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 4:42 PM

8 replies

Mar 10, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

When going through System Preferences, Displays, It clearly lists my monitor connected with a DVI cable on Port 1. But it does not see my projector which is connected via SVGA cable connected to the second port via a SVGA-DVI adapter. Now here's the kicker. When I open Bootcamp and operate with Windows 7 it sees both my monitor and the projector and operates just fine. This causes me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the graphics card. It also causes me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the cable connections. I switch back to OS X and then only the monitor works. My graphics card is NVIDIA Gforce 8800 GT.

Mar 10, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Mac1pastor

The Mac uses a highly parameterized driver. It sets the parameters based on the response it receives from the display on the secondary EDID channel. That response lists the display's NAME (which is why it can be shown in system configuration displays) and its capabilities.

If your adapter does not pass the EDID signals, or the projector does not provide them, your projector will stay dark. Are you using a reputable adapter? These are the signals on a DVI port -- VGA is in the pins around the blade at the end plus one more form the top row of the grid (salmon pink in the diagram). EDID are in the adjacent pins (light blue):

User uploaded file

graphic courtesy Wikipedia

The reason you may get a picture in Windows is that it does none of that. You generally set the resolution in a Control Panel, and it takes your word for it and outputs whatever you said, even if that damages your display.

Mar 10, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

User uploaded file

A female DE15 socket (videocard side).
Pin 1REDRed video
Pin 2GREENGreen video
Pin 3BLUEBlue video
Pin 4ID2/RESformerly Monitor ID bit 2, reserved since E-DDC
Pin 5GNDGround (HSync)
Pin 6RED_RTNRed return
Pin 7GREEN_RTNGreen return
Pin 8BLUE_RTNBlue return
Pin 9KEY/PWRformerly key, now +5V DC
Pin 10GNDGround (VSync, DDC)
Pin 11ID0/RESformerly Monitor ID bit 0, reserved since E-DDC
Pin 12ID1/SDAformerly Monitor ID bit 1, I²C data since DDC2
Pin 13HSyncHorizontal sync
Pin 14VSyncVertical sync
Pin 15ID3/SCLformerly Monitor ID bit 3, I²C clock since DDC2
The image and table detail the 15-pin VESA DDC2/E-DDC connector; the diagram’s pin numbering is that of a female connector functioning as the graphics adapter output. In the male connector, this pin numbering corresponds with the mirror image of the cable’s wire-and-solder side.

at least some of pins 4, 10,11, 12, and 15 should be connected to pass EDID data through.

I'm having trouble using multiple displays on Mac Pro 2006 (OS X 10.6.8). System Preferences does not detect my projector. Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.