Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 Update reintegrates the PRE Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 bugs

Since I've update Yosemite to v10.10.2, the bug fixed by the Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 patch seems to reappear. My $1000 monitor turn to black completly aleatory.

The Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 fix was for rare cases. Does anybody else experiment this problem since the OSX update?

OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 Update link: About the OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 Update - Apple Support

Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 link: Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 3:41 PM

7 replies

Mar 9, 2015 9:14 AM in response to tbirdvet

Yep! I've already do all this stuff tbirdvet and it doesnt work. This is why Apple release the firmware update v1.2 at first.

My screen continues to randomly goes black. The sound continues to work, my cursor can still to go on the interface "displayed" on the monitor but I don't have any image.

Do I have to light candles and pray for Jobs?

Looks like a problem with the device, but the previous firmware update have already fixed this problem who reappeared, unfortunately, after updating OSX.

Mar 12, 2015 10:22 AM in response to tbirdvet

Weird. That sounds like the same hardware drops that the older iMacs had with dropping SuperDrives. However, a :30 pull from power source worked just fine. I'm going to try a full 5 minutes, but I've tried killing the power and the update will not finish. My TB Monitor actually works, and my TB port on my MBPro seems to work fine.... however, NONE of the ports on my TB Monitor work anymore. TB, FW800, USB, all DEAD. Maybe the power down for 5 minutes will work, but I'm doubting it. Even with 10.10.2, the TB Monitor Firmware 1.2 upgrade will not finish.

Mar 12, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Redeyejack

This is a really strange and annoying problem. In my case, like it's the case for TfIwM, I need my setup for work and it cost me a lot of time (and frustrations!) and by the same time, money.

In my case, the ports (USB's, Audio, Ethernet...) on the Thunderbolt Display still work. When the display stop showing an image, the sound continue to play from the display and the USB ports still working. I've already try all the tricks. Unplug the power for 30 seconds, 5 minutes.... 10 hours. Hard reset my MBP 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 time after and before the unplug method. Remove all the devices from the thunderbolt (only Lightning to USB cables to charge my others Apple devices from time to time... and no, they are not plugged to the display when the problem occur). Nothing work. The last time the problem disappear was when they released the firmware update v1.2.

When I check the console, I don't have any log, warning or error message about this.

I've contacted Apple Support a lot of times about this problem and they still look like it's the first time they heard about it also if they have released a firmware update to fix this exact problem months ago.

A VERY frustrating situation.

OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 Update reintegrates the PRE Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.