Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is local video streaming to Apple TV jerky?

Video streaming to Apple TV (v 3) has always been smooth. No matter what the online source -- from YouTube to Netflix -- the video is consistently good. Video streamed from Macs, though, is jerky to the point of unwatchable. Even when I stream it from a a Mac connected by ethernet with wi-fi off, the result is unwatchable. I cannot think what the problem could be. My wi-fi signal is strong (from two bridged Apple Extreme units) so when I stream wirelessly network shouldn’t be the problem, and I’m just a few feet from both ATV and AE.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 7:18 PM

Have you tried connecting Apple TV via ethernet?

To see a status of your network go to istumbler or similar, this will give an accurate representation of signal strength along with noise any nearby networks

33 replies

Mar 8, 2015 8:37 PM in response to vazandrew

The router is the generation before this with up-to-date software, but I don’t see how that would impact streaming over ethernet. As I mentioned, it works pretty flawlessly with online streaming. Doing a factory reset of ATV is no help. It works just as badly whether the streaming is ethernet or wi-fi for local streaming.

Mar 8, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Satchmo

This would indicate an issue with the local network, the online services mentioned adapt to the connection anyway. If you are mirroring from the Mac that will require more resources from the network (so you should also make sure to cease other activity like streaming, network backups etc)

If you are referring to the Extreme, the last generation was released 4 years ago. While not always the case routers are more prone to issues after 3-4 years, that would impact performance over ethernet as well.

You can also verify network performance by testing on another network, preferably a controlled one like Apple's

Mar 9, 2015 6:46 AM in response to MarzenaKrywan

MarzenaKrywan wrote:

I'm using the newest AirPort Express (with actually firmware) and the newest Apple TV (with actually firmware) and video streaming is so poor. Just Beamer player is doing this best... but anyone knows why the there is a problem with streaming directly from macbook pro retina (late2012) dashboard do my Apple TV?

It should work. There is no clear reason why yours or mine should not stream properly. I guess I’ll make a trip to the dreaded Apple store.

Mar 9, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Satchmo

I've seen this both with my iPad and with my Macbook Pro. What I noticed in many cases is that a reboot of either device seems to help clear this up. I use the Dishanywhere site to stream my satellite programming to my kitchen TV which is tied to my Apple TV. I assume that enough garbage is sometime left running in the background that this devices are sometimes sapped to provide the steady video stream necessary.

Mar 9, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Satchmo

Seems that if it's network related, this is going to be a hard nut to crack. I assume you can bring your Airport Extreme in to be checked out, but if you are using another brand of wireless router, you won't get much help there. I know wireless interference can play havoc with signals and one of the things I'd check out with some sniffer software is that possibility. Just sitting here in my kitchen I can see signals from 15 different wireless routers in my neighborhood. Using 2.4 GHz channel selection can make all the difference between good and poor performance. Granted those 15 access points in many cases aren't close enough to interfere, a couple are and I've seen performance on my Macbook Pro suck sometime because a close by wireless router pops onto or close to the same channel I'm on. That's a lot why I bought an Airport Extreme and use the 5 GHz side as much as possible. In the case of my Apple TV and all my Apple devices, I run on the 5GHz side. Signal strength is good and when I get the slow downs when using Airplay, the reboots of the streaming devices usually resolve the issues.

Mar 9, 2015 10:25 AM in response to vazandrew

Again, it makes no sense to blame the wireless network when the devices are communicating via ethernet. As I’ve said, even my wi-fi network is thoroughly vetted. I can see all the networks in the area, and I’ve made sure that my channels don’t conflict. If a Mac can't stream to an Apple TV six feet away, then the products are pretty sad in this regard. And if it is more reliable to stream from the Internet than from a local Mac (or other device), then there is a significant problem. Simply put, this should not be happening. This is just one more thing that Apple tossed onto the market without making it work well.

Mar 9, 2015 10:55 AM in response to vazandrew

I have three Apple routers and no evidence that they have any problems. You have stated and restated your believe that there could be a router issue, but with not even a theory about how a router defect could account for a bad ethernet video stream. You have also stated that routers are prone to defects after 3-4 years, and I have never seen evidence of that. I don’t find it logical. Any link to proof? I very much doubt it.

I’ve been using personal computers since 1982 and Macs since 1984. Whenever there is a problem that is mysterious it has almost always come down to a manufacturing or software defect, not something peculiar to my set-up.

Please explain your theory as to how a router defect would prevent proper streaming from an iMac to Apple TV through ethernet.

Mar 9, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Satchmo

A router is still an electronic device, it can struggle with maintaining a connection as time goes on. It's not common, but it can happen. It could also be a setting or undue strain on the network caused by other activity (mirroring requires full resources). These are networking devices, and they are working just fine for the majority. The difference would be the network setup. If you want to rule it out then test it at Apple

Why is local video streaming to Apple TV jerky?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.