Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime sound breaking up

i have an iPad Air, and for the first year I had it I was able talk over FaceTime with no issues. Recently, I've started having some issues when the other side is talking. If there is any noise on my end, the speaker cuts out like its muted. This wasn't something that was happening before, and it's getting really bad when 3 2 year olds are running around while talking to grandma and grandpa. I've tried a full reset and set up as new for my iPad, my parents are using new iPad Air 2's, and my internet connection is fairly stable.

What can I do to troubleshoot further? A full reset from iTunes?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 10:12 AM

Hello Eric Rauch,

It seems you are experiencing audio issues when using FaceTime. Do these audio issues only occur during FaceTime calls? Have you noticed it while playing music or streaming video? I've linked to an article that may help you find a solution:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Can't hear anything from the built-in speaker of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Maybe you can hear, but the sound is distorted, muffled, intermittent. Or maybe you hear static or crackling noises. If your iOS device has any of these issues, follow these steps.

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Bobby_D

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Eric Rauch

Hello Eric Rauch,

It seems you are experiencing audio issues when using FaceTime. Do these audio issues only occur during FaceTime calls? Have you noticed it while playing music or streaming video? I've linked to an article that may help you find a solution:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Can't hear anything from the built-in speaker of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Maybe you can hear, but the sound is distorted, muffled, intermittent. Or maybe you hear static or crackling noises. If your iOS device has any of these issues, follow these steps.

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Bobby_D

Mar 10, 2015 4:38 PM in response to bobby_d

Thanks for the reply, Bobby_D. I don't think its an issue with the speakers, because they work fine whenever the room is quiet. The issue only happens when someone is talking or making noise around me while the other person is also talking. It's like the noise is being picked up by the mic and muting the speakers while it's going on. But this never happens with my wife's iPad Air 2 or my iPhone 6.

I Have all the updates for iOS, but I'll try some of the other things next time we FaceTime.

FaceTime sound breaking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.