Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive not showing in Disk Utility?

Recently, I went to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp and set up two partitions (one for OS X, 500gb and one for Windows, 500gb). I accidentally installed Windows onto of the OS X partition and somehow the Windows OS disappeared so I currently have no OS to boot in to. I can run Yosemite off of a USB, but when I go to Internet Recovery or Disk Utility, it only shows this.

Disk Description : Media

Total Capacity : 0 Bytes

Connection Bus : SATA

Write Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : Internal

S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

I know the hard drive can't be dead because this is a brand new laptop and it was working just fine before. How can I get the drive fixed?

Instead of buying DiskWarrior since it's $110, can I just buy a new 1TB HDD and put it into the computer? Can I hook up my laptop via Firewire to my iMac and reformat the drive or something?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 4:05 PM

4 replies

Mar 8, 2015 4:32 PM in response to nlchpr

You have two options. You can try Target Disk mode with your iMac as you alluded to:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1661

Or try and boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys. The display should show a revolving globe. By following the instructions, this will connect the MBP to the Apple servers and allow you to erase the HDD and reinstall the ORIGINAL OSX.

Ciao.

Mar 8, 2015 4:35 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE wrote:

Or try and boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys. The display should show a revolving globe. By following the instructions, this will connect the MBP to the Apple servers and allow you to erase the HDD and reinstall the ORIGINAL OSX.

Ciao.

The problem with this option is that the computer does not recognize that there is any space on the hard drive itself. The hard drive is just labeled as "Media" and has 0 bytes available. I tried using GUID partitions but Disk Utility says the drive is too small.

Hard drive not showing in Disk Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.