Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reload Mavericks if I don't like Yosemite?

I haven't yet upgraded to Yosemite (am running 10.9.5 now) -- but if I upgrade, and don't like it, is it possible to reload Mavericks?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2015 6:41 PM

Did you save a copy of the Mavericks installer? If not, perhaps you can still download it from the App Store.

Presumably you have more than one HD in your Mac Pro. The safe way to try the upgrade would be to clone your existing system to a different HD using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, and upgrade the clone, leaving your Mavericks system intact. Or just do a clean install of Yosemite on a second drive, and install your critical apps to see how they work with Yosemite..

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2015 6:41 PM in response to bluesbo

Did you save a copy of the Mavericks installer? If not, perhaps you can still download it from the App Store.

Presumably you have more than one HD in your Mac Pro. The safe way to try the upgrade would be to clone your existing system to a different HD using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, and upgrade the clone, leaving your Mavericks system intact. Or just do a clean install of Yosemite on a second drive, and install your critical apps to see how they work with Yosemite..

Mar 8, 2015 8:14 PM in response to bluesbo

Once you have installed Yosemite 10.10 on your main boot drive, that drive will not allow you to revert it to an older version.

Techniques to get around this all require a Trusted Backup, because the drive with 10.10 must be set aside or erased before Mavericks 10.9 will install on it.

As kahjot pointed out, if you do not already have Mavericks 10.9 on your Mac App Store "Purchases" page for your main Apple-ID, you will not be able to "buy" it -- it is no longer sold new.

Mar 8, 2015 10:16 PM in response to bluesbo

The prudent plan is while you are using Mavericks and if you have the Mavericks GM installer dmg then install Mavericks to an external drive. That way you can boot into it anytime and erase Yosemite then install Mavericks. If you do not do something like I described you'll have a difficult time reverting. I use one external partitioned into 6 with Snow Leopard, Lion, Mt Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite installed along with respective software updaters for any of those OS X.

Takes a little time but worth it in the long run.

Mar 9, 2015 4:17 AM in response to bluesbo

Do not "upgrade" instead do a clean install onto another hard drive.

If you are not using SSD now is the perfect time to buy.

And always keep your existing system as is, clone it regardless, it is your safety net.

And Yosemite will go better this way with clean install.

Setup Assistant can easily import what you need from the old system.

Save those .ESD installer packages, create a bootable installer.

Mar 28, 2015 2:37 AM in response to bluesbo

What was on that disk before?

Did you erase/format that disk?

How did you boot to try that?

bluesbo wrote:

Thanks, Illaas. I;ve followed the suggestions on that link, but when I try to restore to another disk, I get the message, "Recovery partition can only be done on GPT partition maps". So what can I do now?

Mar 28, 2015 3:15 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, Illaas. I used a LaCie 500 GB external drive, and reformatted it as one partition in Disk Utility. Then I rebooted the machine, holding down the Command and R key together. When trying to restore my Macintosh HD drive to the LaCie, it gave me that error message, and wouldn't restore to that external disk.

Can I reload Mavericks if I don't like Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.